Got charged 200$ USD twice by Yandex Europe AG ( Unauthorized Payment )

ChesterLio
Contributor
Contributor

So, I have just wake up this morning, and realized There's 2 prompt from paypal app. After clicking it, I realized that i have been charged 200$ twice (I slept for 7 hours, it happened during my sleep ) I immediately tried to login my account, but to blocked by 2 step verification ( Which then i opened up my google authenticator, just to see that they are missing from it ).
After that I immediately accessed to my account with mobile phone verification code, and reported unauthorized charges for them. I also removed all my payment method and changed my password, But I don't even know how they get access to all of them information and I don't feel safe right now, knowing that I didn't even receive payment email from paypal, which I usually receives everytime i uses paypal.
Are anyone familiar with this Yandex Europe AG? How can they managed to access my account and charged me 200$ twice, also preventing the email to be sent to me? This is my first time having issue with paypal, I'm disappointed to see that they allow such transaction as I'm from Malaysia, There's no way I'll be sending money to some company from Europe? And no suspicious activity detected until i submit the report, causing my account to go limited.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

ChesterLio
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Sorry for late update, but the issue is actually solved by Paypal in a day ( 4 hours after i submitted report case ). They refunded me my money and I've updated my information and added 2-step verification.

READ!!
After I contacted my bank, They told me that this "yandex europe AG" are actually located in China. It might not be related to the Yandex Europe itself. Use 2-step verification to protect yourself, it's very important.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChesterLio 

The company likely uses PayPal to accept payment as a merchant and that someone accessed your account as it was compromised somehow and used your account to make transactions at this merchant.

All you can do is report it. Sweep your devices for malware, spyware, viruses, etc. If PayPal comes back saying its not unauthorized, then contact customer service and have a human do a in-depth review:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US or other available options.

Or contacting via social media:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

ChesterLio
Contributor
Contributor

I have just contacted my credit card company, and they informed me that the receiver's origin of country are from China, and I'm sure it's fraud / hacked my paypal account. How come paypal doesn't prompt me when my account have been accessed in China and used to send payments? Now that's really disappointing to know someone in China can access to my paypal account without me knowing. My CC company advised me to submit new CC replacment form, and they'll have to check for fraud on these transaction.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ChesterLio 

If your account is hacked, you'd be surprised what can be done, like a ghost, and no one would know the wiser. That's the challenge.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Pectus_1
New Community Member
did you solve the problem? I have the same wake up in the morning and I see that my account has been charged -320 £
Login to Me Too

Supachai
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get your money back? I just got charged for 500 euros from Yandex Europe AG either. I really need help right now!!

Login to Me Too

Taylor92
Contributor
Contributor

This has happened to me and Paypal refuse it was unauthorised, even when a suspicious phone number had been added to my account.

I Explained i have never heard of Yandex Europe or paid anyone in euros before,  especially for business services or so it was labelled.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? its left my account limiited and negative £145.

Taylor  

Login to Me Too

ChesterLio
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, paypal refunded me immediately, after I reported the case 4 hours. I turned on 2-step verification myself, and changed password. 

Login to Me Too
Solved

ChesterLio
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE: Sorry for late update, but the issue is actually solved by Paypal in a day ( 4 hours after i submitted report case ). They refunded me my money and I've updated my information and added 2-step verification.

READ!!
After I contacted my bank, They told me that this "yandex europe AG" are actually located in China. It might not be related to the Yandex Europe itself. Use 2-step verification to protect yourself, it's very important.

Login to Me Too

Taylor92
Contributor
Contributor
This happened to me on the 11 of March and I’m still fighting now, if only they could always be that efficient! They are refusing mine saying it was not unauthorised. Don’t really know what else to do Now they phone every day because the PayPal account is negative £154 because Halifax returned it to my account as they could see it was fraud.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.