Got Scammed by Shenzhen Soweway International, Cant seem to dispute further with PayPal for a refund

themda
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everybody, I got scammed by a seller Shenzhen Soweway International, and now their website has been deleted. 

When i first purchased from their website, they said that tracking will be available as soon as the item ships in 3-5 days. They sent me tracking 10days after purchase, stating "preparing for shipment 3-17-20". I contacted the seller daily after that as to why shipping hasn't moved, they did not respond. I escalated to Paypal to resolve, and 2 weeks later paypal just sent me the same tracking number the seller already provided me. By April 5th, the package actually boarded a flight and was on its way to my home, great. I received the package last night and it is NOT WHAT I ORDERED - SCAMMED lights that did not match the description, or anything of that nature as they had stolen the details off of a manufacture's website.

-Now PayPal has closed my Problem report, and I am unable to submit a new problem report for being deceived by the seller.

-What would be the best action to go from here as PayPal is not allowing me to submit a new claim as the order has been delivered and closed under a previous claim (that was logistics related).

-This is not the best time to be out $160, I want a refund but its like the seller didn't even exist to begin with since they deleted their entire website 

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@themda 

Here's what's going to happen...if you even get PayPal to change the dispute reason to Significantly Not as Described, you will likely be required to return item for a refund to address that PayPal supplies. You are not entitled to return shipping costs in the dispute and PayPal protection policy does not let you keep both item and the money. If you are able to reach customer service during these times and get them to refund you without returning item, then all the power to you but it's not a given.

(PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future returns if this return is not eligible, which it is not if you were not signed up for the service prior to filing a dispute but sign up anyway.)

Otherwise, if you paid with credit card, dispute it through them instead who may not require you to return item and this dings the seller a chargeback handling fee by PayPal on top of amount disputed. There is no seller protection for credit card chargebacks on Significantly Not as Described. This is how buyers can overcome this adaptation by seller of the PayPal seller protection program. And always pay with credit card. But don't abuse this protection provided by your card. Shop smart. Do web search on merchant/site/product/price first. If you can buy the same item from a reputable seller do it. Don't fall for too good to be true schemes.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

themda
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker , thank you for your response

How can I get paypal to overturn my dispute? The initial escalation was for the fact that I had not received any item, once the tracking showed delivered PayPal closed the dispute in favor of the seller. Upon opening the package, it was significantly not as described, and I have no issue returning the item, but I am unable to set up a new problem report or dispute PayPal's disposition.

I reached out to my bank (paid via debit not credit) and they stated that since I authorized the payment there is nothing they could do to dispute and I should follow up with PayPal

It's starting to sound like I am out $160,

Login to Me Too

Angyjoy
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem. Ordered from Shenzhen Soweway originally opened dispute as item not received. PayPal automatically closed after 10 days but didn’t receive package till after the 10 days and it was significantly different from what was ordered now I can’t get the dispute reopened or request a return label
Login to Me Too

Douglas1717
Contributor
Contributor
ordered a backpack portable toilet... too good to be true? i got 2 big shower caps!
Login to Me Too

PETEAKINS
New Community Member

I had the same experience, but  my paypal account is tied to my checking account so there is no CC recourse.  They agreed to return my $26 if  I return the  incorrect item, but that will cost me $96 to ship it to hong kong.  Paypal should not allow this scam to operate through paypal, and they should change the policy on returns because this company knows that the cost of returns is too great to have anyone actually return something.

Login to Me Too

Margarita4u
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered items and site was under a different name. It wasn’t until I got my purchase confirmation that I saw this Chinese name. I NEVER would have ordered from them. Initially, they said it would arrive in three days (impossible from China) and once the charge went through they told me three weeks! I contacted them within minutes to cancel, only to receive ridiculous emails “ I sorry you make mistake” and offering discounts, which I refused. When it was clear that wouldn’t happen, I filed a dispute with VISA and refund was issued. Funny thing..., just today these jokers wrote and said my stuff was returned by customs (lie). They’re still trying to get me to keep the order at a discount..... I’ve had my refund for weeks. These people are unethical, horrible liars. Deal directly with your bank if you used credit or file dispute with PayPal. My bank handled it well.
Login to Me Too

Douglas1717
Contributor
Contributor
its unreal to think we need to jump through hoops to correct this scam. I ordered a tent and recieved what looks like 2 oversized shower caps. now they want more info? about what? Im glad your bank handled it. paypal doesnt protect from scams obviously. Never will i buy from china again. and **bleep** paypal.
Login to Me Too

mysunz3
Contributor
Contributor

I was also scammed by this company/person.  He says he will refund after I return it but the return address is in chinese and I can't read it.  Also, the package return address is in Illinois.  Am I wasting my time trying to get paypal to listen?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.