Got Scammed by Seller on OfferUp and Not Responding to Messages after Purchase

bmw067
Contributor
Contributor

I had bought controller on OfferUp, because of the good price. However, me being a first time user on the site I thought that PayPal was reasonable since just about any seller in general used it. At first the seller was very responsive and seemed trustworthy. Then the problems started when he started saying he had trouble receiving my money. When I sent him the $30 through PayPal with his request, he said that the money sent was pending for him. Then he says to try to send another $30 without him requesting it. I said that I wasn't comfortable doing that. Then changed his mind saying that it went through, and that he got an email confirmation, so I'm assuming that he got the $30. 

He then asks if there is anything to confirm, and lies saying that he "wonders why that it's still pending on his side", which contradicts with his previous statement. He asks again if I could try to send another $25-$30 again in a different way to see if he'll get it instantly, because he needed the money desperately for his daughters diapers, and he promises to pay it back. I felt bad for him, so this time I tried paying $25 using the PayPal Cash Balance, but once again he says it's pending. He says try pressing "confirm receipt", but that's only when I receive the item, which I have not. He says press it anyway, saying that it's "part of the process". When I did, he said he got it and said do the same for the other $30 I sent, which I did and he later said he got. He promised to pay me back the $30, but said that it would take 3-5 because of covid-19 and because I didn't put him as "family and friends".

He said the item shipped, but l didn't receive the tracking number as he promised, and he ignored all of my messages asking for it, and just went ghost on me for 7 days. Curious, I made an another account and tried reaching out to him again on OfferUp to see if he was active, which he was and said that the controller was still available. I believe that I've been scammed and won't be receiving this item. I would really appreciate any help in getting my money back, this just cost me $55. 😞

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

EpicCharlieMac
Contributor
Contributor
Dang I feel this but instead of a whole $60 (if my math is right and including paypal fees) I was scammed an entire $700 from a seller on offerup selling computer gpu’s. He had said that offerup has high fees for the seller and being new i believed him and he asked for payment through applepay and then cashapp before deciding on paypal. He stated his account was “new so it wouldn’t recieve payments for 21 days” and to do through friends and family so I did and he confirmed. 2 days later of him “delaying” shipment of my newly purchased gpu’s he stops responding to me through the app and by phone. I have since opened disputes but paypal refuses to help in any way and I am now down 2 gpu’s and $700 which is most of my savings since I am a college student and covid hit me hard for work. I am also a dependent so only qualify for this new stimulus and none prior but still it doesnt help that paypal really cant do anything on the matter and closes my case after 2 hours of it opening. To me this shows their lack of care for customers and dont take their customers seriously and invest even a little time/resources into them for using their services for so long and helping them. I have ample evidence against the person that i purchased the items, what they are and even on paypal description of the payment i put down the products i was buying, payment received by me on the sellers end, offerup messages and the gaping hole in my bank and now my pocket.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.