Girlfriend Sent Money and PayPal Charged a $105 Fee - How to Cancel

welliott
Contributor
Contributor

So my girlfriend was sitting on the couch next to me and she ows me $3,600.  Venmo was capped at $2,999.99.  So we did PayPal instead.  I request the money, she accepts, and then we're surprised by the $105 fee.  Not acceptable.  So I cancel the transaction by hitting the refund button.  That should be the end of it, but nope!

Since my PayPal balance was only $[Removed. Phone #s not permitted], PayPal automatically deducted $3,600 from my checking account and overdrew it.  I called multiple times and talked to multiple people including a supervisor, and they said the fee is non-refundable.  Even though this was NOT for goods/services and it was all a mistake.  They would not budge.  Even if that meant alienating a couple customers for life.  In 2019 it's not normal to see such apathy towards a customer.  It's not like we're repeat eBay sellers trying to trick the system.

Soooo.... Has anyone dealt with this problem and been able to make PayPal do the right thing?  I see the Better Business Bureau has loads of complaints on PayPal.  So I'm going to file a complaint.  Wondering who else has insight.

Thanks,

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@welliott 

Money requests incur a fee so the fee is not refunded. Sorry.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-are-the-fees-for-requesting-money-and-invoicing-faq...

If the recipient accepts the payment, the fees are not refunded, sorry. PayPal is just following policy.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#sending-money

When you send money to a friend or family member who has a PayPal account, one of two things may happen: they may accept or decline the money. If they decline to accept the money, the money (including any fees you were charged) will be refunded to:

• The original payment method you used for the transaction, if you used a credit card, debit card, PayPal Credit, a Cash Account, or balance in a business PayPal account as the payment method, or
  • The balance in your business PayPal account or the balance in your Cash Account linked to your personal PayPal account if you used a bank account as the payment method and we cannot refund it to your bank account.
  • If you do not have a Cash Account linked to your personal PayPal account, the money will be waiting for you to claim by using one of the available transfer methods under Receiving Funds, Holding a Balance or Transferring Funds for personal PayPal accounts.

When you send money, any fees incurred are shown before you even get to finalize payment. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

welliott
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.  I know that NOW, but it's very uncommon in 2019 that they'd be so hesitant to make a one-time exception for customers when they make a mistake and learn this hidden policy.  Nobody reads all the fine print when they're transferring money to a loved one on a smartphone.

I don't understand the benefit of telling customers "you made a mistake and now our big company is keeping $105 of your money even though there was zero money transfer".  How the hell does that make anyone want to use PayPal ever again??

I can think of countless examples where other companies don't **bleep** over their customers in similar scenarios.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.