Getting postage refunded?

Kwright4
Contributor
Contributor

I was ripped off by Chinese scamming merchants in December; I purchased 2 tiny printers and received a $2 unuseable stamp in the mail. I contacted the seller and they offered me a refund of $20 (it was around $55USD) which I declined and opened a dispute with PayPal. Their website has shut down and googling tells me that others have had the same thing happen. I had a reply from PayPal that told me that I could claim back all of my money if I sent the stamp back to them in China, but it had to be tracked. So I went down and sent it this morning - $55 New Zealand to send! So i was pretty upset. I sent it anyway even though I will only end up with about $20 back. I feel very despondent about PayPal’s process and feel that this is completely unfair. The seller should be paying the return fee. Can I claim this back in any way? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kwright4 

As per PayPal buyer protection terms, buyers are not entitled to return costs.

PayPal cannot force sellers to provide it.  It is the seller's prerogative and they have to follow through on it during the dispute phase (non escalation). Nor can PayPal refund you more than what you originally paid. 

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Keep in mind that these mini-printers have been known to be scammed on as noted by the original crowdfunded manufacturers. Please do research on the product/merchant/site/price to see if what you're about to buy is a scam or not.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kwright4 

As per PayPal buyer protection terms, buyers are not entitled to return costs.

PayPal cannot force sellers to provide it.  It is the seller's prerogative and they have to follow through on it during the dispute phase (non escalation). Nor can PayPal refund you more than what you originally paid. 

PayPal has a return shipping refund program for future purchases if this return is not eligible:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Keep in mind that these mini-printers have been known to be scammed on as noted by the original crowdfunded manufacturers. Please do research on the product/merchant/site/price to see if what you're about to buy is a scam or not.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kwright4 

You're very welcome! 🙂

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.