Getting my account back now that I'm over 18?

Munchceros
Contributor
Contributor
I made an account back in 2018 and somewhere mid 2019 it was limited just a few months before I even turned 18. Now I'm 18 and want to try and get my account back with what I have in terms of ID and such. I have money held in this account and really wants to continue using these services because they make running my small hobby business easy. Will I be able to do so? Can I contact customer support or an email? Edit: I don't mind making a new account either, but I want to make sure I can via the customer support team.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

AdriaanZA
Contributor
Contributor

I was in the exact same position that you are in. I made an account before I turned 18 and started making money on it. A few months after I turned 18 they ask for a copy of my ID. To myself I was like "I'm 18 now so nothing bad should happen when I send my ID right?". WRONG!!!

They ended up limiting my account and locking my money for 180 days. After 180 days passed I noticed I still couldn't withdraw my money. I ended up calling them and they unlocked the withdraw feature on my account. I got all the money with no issues. The account was still limited however. I could no longer use it and paypal told me I would need to make a new account. I was allowed to use the same ID and so on.

What you need to do is:

1. Wait 180 days after they locked your account.
  2. Call paypal support. In my case I had to ask to speak to a supervisor as the way you withdraw money in my country is by sending it to my banks paypal account.
  3. Tell the full and honest story. Also mention 180 days have passed and you would like the ability to withdraw your funds. Don't try to cheat the days. They will check.
  4. Ask them if you're allowed to make a new account. 
  5. Withdraw your money and if allowed make a new account with a new email address.

Just a note for the future. I suggest you never keep money in your account as countless of people have complained never receiving their money back. Paypal is not a bank account and it shouldn't be treated as one!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

AdriaanZA
Contributor
Contributor

I was in the exact same position that you are in. I made an account before I turned 18 and started making money on it. A few months after I turned 18 they ask for a copy of my ID. To myself I was like "I'm 18 now so nothing bad should happen when I send my ID right?". WRONG!!!

They ended up limiting my account and locking my money for 180 days. After 180 days passed I noticed I still couldn't withdraw my money. I ended up calling them and they unlocked the withdraw feature on my account. I got all the money with no issues. The account was still limited however. I could no longer use it and paypal told me I would need to make a new account. I was allowed to use the same ID and so on.

What you need to do is:

1. Wait 180 days after they locked your account.
  2. Call paypal support. In my case I had to ask to speak to a supervisor as the way you withdraw money in my country is by sending it to my banks paypal account.
  3. Tell the full and honest story. Also mention 180 days have passed and you would like the ability to withdraw your funds. Don't try to cheat the days. They will check.
  4. Ask them if you're allowed to make a new account. 
  5. Withdraw your money and if allowed make a new account with a new email address.

Just a note for the future. I suggest you never keep money in your account as countless of people have complained never receiving their money back. Paypal is not a bank account and it shouldn't be treated as one!

Login to Me Too

Munchceros
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you a bunch, I'll take this reply as a way to hopefully resolve my issue. ^·^ Wish I didn't fall into the whole using paypal before 18 scenario, but you live and you learn.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.