Getting a refund for a fake item

mixythepixie789
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have worked out that the product that I received is a fake and would like a refund. I have evidence to prove it in the form of photos comparing the real and fake version I have attached below. The real model is always on the left. I expect a full refund because I didn't get the product that was advertised. It has a different foam which means that it doesn't give the benefits of the real next% shoe and is also heavier. How should I proceed from here. It doesn't seem possible to contact the seller since they are a fraud and their website has now being taken down.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mixythepixie789 

Paypal aren't bothered with photos etc, your best bet is to get written confirmation the item is fake from a seller or company that sells the real thing OR trading standards?

Even then if you win a dispute you may still be asked to return the item back to the seller for a refund BUT await the outcome of the dispute first AND make sure you have activated the below link to get help with return shipping costs.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mixythepixie789
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

At this stage I feel very stuck because I'm not really able to do anything.

If I can get past this first stage where I can actually successfully lodge a dispute I should be able to get written confirmation that the item is fake if that is what is asked of me.

I think this is quite a complex situation because the website I purchased from has been taken down. See here: https://www.maclevy.com/ 

It seems they have been taken down by the Australian scam watchdog: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/maclevy.com

So it's highly likely that they are now not responding to emails and are pretty much trying to vanish to get away with what they've done. 

On some further research it seems like they used to have another website, which was this one: https://au.trustpilot.com/review/shoe-store.net 

But that got taken down so they set up another dodgy website under a different name. The address where they are based was the same for both websites. 

Anyway I think in this case return shipping costs are irrelevant, because you don't want to ship fake items back to a dodgy dealer so that they can then trick someone else do you? 

When I lodge a dispute I only have an option to report a problem, not resolve a problem. Is this right? 

I then have two options, to report unauthorised activity or I have a billing issue. So I select I have a billing issue. I then have 5 options: Incorrect transaction amount, refunds or credit, duplicate charge, paid another way or subscriptions, so I select refunds or credit. Then I select Item, and that I've received the item and still have it. I also say that I didn't cancel the order. 

I then get the message that "

As you haven't cancelled the order you'll need to contact the seller directly" 

Do you see what the problem is here? I can't really get in contact with the seller directly.

It then takes me onto another page where I fill out of the information and whenever I try to submit it says 

Please try again.

We're sorry. Something went wrong.

So what can I do now? It feels like I am at a dead end. 

Or should I try this next? 

Submitting a complaint or dispute

If you have a dispute about a seller or a buyer, you should file a dispute through the Resolution Centre by logging in to your PayPal account.

If you have a complaint about our services, or believe your PayPal account may be subject to an unauthorised transaction, account takeover or other type of fraudulent activity, you should contact us immediately.

You can report complaints about our Services by:

<removed>

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@mixythepixie789,

My apologies. If you are unable to open a dispute I would recommend reaching out to our Customer Support to see what options are available for you. 

Best wishes,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

mixythepixie789
Contributor
Contributor

Why did you say that my case was solved when it wasn't? Trying to slip it under the carpet? This one: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/5/message-id/91218

I'll get the Financial Ombudsman involved if paypal don't cooperate. 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @mixythepixie789 ,

Welcome to our Community Forum! When we mark a response as an "Accepted Solution", it's because that response contains the necessary information needed to resolve your concern. Our Community Forums are a place for our users to connect with each other and guide each other towards a resolution. Marking a response as accepted does not mean we are saying your case is solved as there still may be steps that need to be taken to resolve your concern. We do not have the ability to take direct action or provide account-specific information. We are simply hear to provide you with the necessary resources or guide you towards our Customer Support if needed. 

The response provided @kernowlass contains steps to open a dispute. I recommend opening a dispute on this case and escalating it to a claim to gain a refund. 

You're welcome to reach out to our Customer Support for further assistance on this issue. You can reach Customer Support by clicking Contact and then Call Us at the bottom of the PayPal website. They're also available through Twitter direct message or Facebook instant message.

Good luck with your case,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

mixythepixie789
Contributor
Contributor

You didn't read my reply above did you? I'm currently unable to even open a dispute so it is hardly a solution if I can't even do that!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.