Getting a refund based on a new issue with the product, after closing the initial dispute.

Salty_Mama
Contributor
Contributor

I submitted a dispute when shipping for an item I ordered was taking FAR longer than expected.  Some time later I got confirmation that the package was on it's way, and eventually delivered.  My daughter was home and confirmed the package had arrived.  I closed the case.

Upon arriving home, I note the package is MUCH smaller than I expected.  I'd ordered 5 "luxury camp chairs", and the package was about 12Hx10Wx6D.  Unsure how these chairs that were supposed to mimic a hammock could fit in such a small package, I was skeptical.  I opened the package to find what can only be described as mini fold out foot stools of varying color.  They look like something that came from a swap meet or a garage sale put on by my 85 year old grandma.  NOT what I ordered.

I contacted paypal to re-open the case.  Since I'd closed it they said I had to take it up with the seller.  So I did.  They asked for pictures and shipping label photos to prove I was telling the truth.  I provided it.  I then got a canned response back from the seller that said since I'd opened a dispute, I needed to deal with PayPay.  

So now I'm stuck.  I can't get PayPal to help, and I can't get the seller to help.  I'm out $100 and no one will help me.  What can I do?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Silvermaple
Contributor
Contributor

Try contacting your credit card issuer if you paid with credit and request a chargeback.  

Login to Me Too

KEM384
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same chairs instead of full size chairs with a canopy and carrying case. Sihe Trading Company was the company that was on the PayPal and Jacklovev.com was the website. PayPal did nothing but get the company to agree to accept a return. The return address was China and the shipping cost would be more than the product cost and as the buyer I was responsible for the shipping cost even though the item was nothing like what I ordered. I went round and round with PayPal but got nowhere. So now I'm the proud owner of 2 mini 12" stools rather than adult chairs.

No real help from PayPal at all.

Login to Me Too

Salty_Mama
Contributor
Contributor

This is so disheartening.  PayPal has been SO good to work with on disputes in the past.  This whole situation will likely end my relationship with them.  And lesson learned on ordering things without doing my research!  I'm now the proud owner of 5 - 12" stools for the cool price of $100. SMH.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Salty_Mama 

Sorry but why is it paypals fault you closed the claim?

You are allowed x1 claim per transaction.

What you should have done was CHANGED the dispute FROM non receipt TO not as described as soon as you realised you were scammed.

Guess it was one of these???

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Salty_Mama
Contributor
Contributor

It's absolutely not PayPal's fault I closed the claim.  I was not aware I was only allowed 1 claim per transaction - but i'm painfully aware now - and I closed the claim ahead of knowing what I received was not what I expected - also now painfully aware of my mistake.  

I was hopeful PayPal was a company who had an understanding for human error, but that's simply not the case.  I understand if they make an exception for me, they have to make it for everyone.  It's too bad there are folks who take advantage of the system and make it hard for those of us who legitimately made a mistake to get help. 

I appreciate your response and have truly learned from my mistake.  Thank you for taking the time to provide information.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.