Get scam by Gmiioy Website but PayPal refused to refund back

Joshuahclim
Contributor
Contributor

Well recently I asked PayPal to refund the money as the website is a dating website which is scam.(same case with @Louiskoh94. Even I give all the evidence, what PayPal told me that the seller have evidence on tracking number by delivering the item. It doesn't make any sense for paying a 3000 USD on a item and that is a dating side. PayPal can't even provide me the seller evidence as they said is P&C. I have file a police report with evidence that I have screenshot on the seller said would refund back the money to me. Not sure is it possible to get back my refund but I just know PayPal is helpless and can't get back the refund.

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Joshuahclim
Contributor
Contributor
But it's 3 months ago until I realized is a scam. And using Maybank, from Malaysia. Still possible to ask bank to refund?
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Joshuahclim 

Sorry I thought you’re in Singapore..

Did the money come straight from your account or thru a debitcard? If former, then yes file report. But your best bet is still with PayPal as ‘item received is not as described’ .. 

Theres something called a chargeback through debit or creditcards. 

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

Joshuahclim
Contributor
Contributor
@MY-Canuck is okay. The money came from my debit card and pay through PayPal. Already launch a police report. And later will go bank try to ask how to settle it. PayPal there I have to open a new case again right? There is total of 5 cases = 3000 USD and report item not as per description?
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Joshuahclim 

Dont mean to laugh at you but you paid over RM12K to an online dating site? Even paying the initial US$500 / RM 2K is raising flags already.

Dont go to bank yet. Call Maybank and speak to fraudulent department of your debitcard and tell them you want to do a chargeback on all the stated payments... there were a few right?

Explain that it’s due to malicious website that payment was taken from your debitcard. 

Filing Police Report is as useful as reporting Mat Rempit activity during New Years Eve! 

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

Joshuahclim
Contributor
Contributor
Ya, as we believed in refund, until I found out through duplichecker...okay, will start go to the bank and ask for assist. Btw, do u know what is MCMC is? Is like a CFM. Report cases on multimedia side such as fraud, scam
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Joshuahclim 

Your strongest help is PayPal. Then your debitcard. Next time try to pay everything thru PayPal using creditcard.

Dont pay anymore online dating sites if they ask you for more than US$100! Don’t fall victim that you must pay to get your money back.

Dont know what MCMC is. What’s the full name. It really isn’t a scam because you willingly paid money into it. Your best bet as I said to claim that Product received not as described thru PayPal. And do a “chargeback”. 

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

Joshuahclim
Contributor
Contributor
They know how to play on feelings. As a person is hurry in taking the things, they will more focus on just take back the money bro. MCMC stand for Malaysian Communication And Multimedia Commission. And just now have contact PayPal. They said they didn't saw the attachment file I given...
Login to Me Too

Joshuahclim
Contributor
Contributor
It's seem like yesterday I contact PayPal to appeal. And appeal successful but their outdated. I call on Monday to ask them politely did they received my attachment file, they said no... and this time I send to them and mention them did they received it. They say yes, but ongoing cases get deny and they still haven't really go for the checking on the evidence file... any recommend? Should I just ignore the message and wait for the latest update?
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Joshuahclim 
Looks like you need to do a chargeback with your debitcard is the only solution.

https://www.paypal.com/my/webapps/mpp/chargebacks

Note that the info above is meant for the seller... not you. So go ahead and call Maybank and tell them to do a chargeback. If they tell you to do a report, tell them that is not how a chargeback works. 

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

@Joshuahclim 

There’s a link that can help you understand the procedures of a chargeback. 

https://www.withintheflow.com/ecommerce/how-to-chargeback-on-paypal/

Basically once a chargeback is initiated, PayPal will freeze the amounts in the seller’s account as your bank will have demanded the money back. It is then up to Gmiioy to supply all relevant information that they deemed as having been provided. This won’t be under the same closed case as originally filed but a new dispute.

But it’s because you submitted the initial complaint that you didn’t receive item instead that Gmiioy said they have already sent to you..

Kudos appreciated..
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.