Gaming purchases without permission

Jayedubb
New Community Member

A couple of days ago I received receipts for two purchases on my account totalling $75. I discovered that my 9 year old son had made in app purchases in an online game without my permission. This would not normally have been possible as all purchases required my password which he doesn't have. However, the games company has recently added an option to get a one time code sent to your mobile number by clicking a button. Since he doesn't have a phone, the phone number on his games account is mine. He requested the code and then got the code from my phone to authorise the payments from my PayPal account. Needless to say, consequences for his actions are in place. However, I am wondering if there is anything I can do about the payments themselves. I have tried to request a refund from the games company but they do not refund in app purchases. It's not even so much the money, but I want to prevent him accessing his ill-gotten gains when he's done his time and the current gaming ban is lifted. I should add that I don't want to cancel his account completely as we are in stage 4 lockdown here so we are only allowed out for 1 hour a day to exercise and in remote schooling etc   I am aware that boredom and frustration about this has contributed to the poor behavior in the first place so permanently closing the account will only cause further problems. I am mentioning this to clarify that I am not seeking parenting advice.  The question is, can I do anything about the payments themselves or anything to prevent this from occurring in the future?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.