GOGOBUY scam

TangoDJ
Contributor
Contributor

Dear PayPal community and officers, I would like to let you know that by some of Resolution center decisions PayPal helps the FRAUD companies make their business in the area of deception of customers. There is no need to describe my case, and now I just would like to describe the scammer scheme which is used by such companies like GOGOBUY (or whatever their names).

1. They launch the “New Product Sale” commercial throughout Facebook (or maybe something else).
  2. “You” buy it ($35 merchandise in my case) covering shipping from China ($5 in my case), for instance, using PayPal account, thinking if it is fraud your transaction would be protected.
  3. After a month or longer “You” get the package with chipper merchandise you never order. You think it is a mistake and contact the company.
  4. The company sends you standard text:

Dear Customer

We are so sorry to hear that. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Don’t worry, we will try our best to solve this out for you.

To save time and effort of customers and us. We would like to offer you a $12 refund for the compensation.

Due to the cost of returning postage, which is not worth it to return it back to us. Before you make your final decision, you may check with your local post office for the postage that cost.

For any other inquiries,

Please feel free to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Customer Service

1. In my case, I went to the PayPal resolution center and asked for a full refund. PayPal aggreged for a full refund if I send merchandise by my expenses and provide the tracking number.
  2. Shipping expenses from the USA to China with tracking the package will start from $55 (USPS)!!!!
  3. “You” don’t send merchandise, PayPal closes the case, you don’t get any refund and end up having stuff “you” never ordered and don’t need.
  4. FRAUD company makes a profit selling chip and unneeded items instead of the item they advertise. PayPal helps them to make their business asking customers to send wrong merchandise by customer expenses.

You can make sure that this is not only my case but established system going for example to trustpilot.com and search company by physical address: <removed>

In the PayPal community, 127 people have this problem.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TangoDJ 

Chinese Web Sites or on Facebook easy to spot so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

HOWEVER you may still have the option to do a charge back if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card.
Also Paypal may contribute towards return costs IF you have activated the below link (if available in your country).
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

airdog99
Contributor
Contributor

I just had this same problem exactly as you described it! I made a purchase with UNBOXTREND after seeing an ad on Facebook on November 22nd, 2019. Everything thing looked "legit" and after reading reviews on the website, looking at pictures, watching videos and reading about the product being sold I decide to buy not 1 but 2 of them for Christmas gifts.

https://unboxtrend.shop/products/metal-remote-control-tank49-off-free-shipping

I purchased 2 of the tanks for an added discount for grand a total of $94.98

(December 30th) Over a month later I receive the package with completely different merchandise in it than what I had ordered. I thought it was a mistake so I tried to contact the company with the contact email <removed>. The email address bounces back as "invalid". I tried several more times over the next few days thinking it might be an error in the system because of heavy web traffic but it continued to show "invalid" and bounces back.

(January 2nd) I now start to realize that this may be a scam so I contact PayPal. 

I explain the situation to the first PayPal agent and he helps me file a claim with the Resolution Department for the entire amount of $94.98. Somehow PayPal is able to contact the company and they reply with an offer to give me a $40 refund as compensation for the error.

(January 6th) I refuse this offer as the items shipped to me are complete junk and are not even worth $10.  PayPal continues to review the case...

After doing a little more investigating on my own and visiting the UNBOXTREND website  to grab screenshots of their "100% Money back Guarantee" and return policies I now notice that they have added a "Contact Us page" that wasn't there before. This page allows you to enter your name, email, phone number and a message so I fill it out and wait for a reply. 

(January 10th) I receive this reply... 

Dear Customer
We are so sorry to hear that. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused. Don’t worry, we will try our best to solve this out for you.
To save time and effort of customers and us. We would like to offer you a $24 refund for the compensation.
Due to the cost of returning postage, which is not worth it to return it back to us. Before you make your final decision, you may check with your local post office for the postage that cost.
For any other inquiries, Please feel free to contact us.
Kind Regards,
Customer Service

I respectfully decline this offer and reply with a request for a full refund of $94.98 and a return shipping label.

(January 11) 

(January 12) I receive this same reply as above to my request for a full refund and return shipping label but now they are offering $28 compensation. The $28 offer is ridiculous and I once again respectfully decline and ask for a full refund and return shipping label. I have heard nothing since... 

I also receive a message from PayPal Resolution dept that I am eligible for a full refund of $94.98 as long as I return/ship the item to the seller buy January 22nd... This is good news an also very bad! I went to the post office and they can not verify the return address as it was sent to me via PayPal... However, the Post Office can verify sending a package to that province in China will cost around $55 USD. That's once again ridiculous and unacceptable!  

(January 13th) I contact PayPal once again after my visit to the Post Office. I explain to the PayPal agent that the Post Office can't verify the shipping info as sent to me and even if they could this is totally unacceptable that I should have to pay to ship a junk item that I did not order back to China at my expense. I was sent a product that I did not order, the seller knows this and doesn't want it back because of shipping expense.

The PayPal agent agreed that this clearly sounds like a scam but in order to rule in my favor I now need to upload a document showing that the return shipping address needs to be shown as "deliverable" in a statement on official letter from the United States Post Office. I now have 7 days to get this completed or I will probably have my case dropped and I will lose my entire $94.98 not to mention all the hours I have spent to resolve this issue!

I am learning more and more every day that this is happening to many other people. Searching through the internet and reading complaints on Unboxtrend's Facebook page shows this is clearly a scam to cheat people out of their money. 

I was sent a product that I did not order, the seller knows this and doesn't want it back. I get cheated out of money and the seller gets away with this scam. PayPal needs to put a stop to this fraud now and stop allowing these scammers to get away with this!

Login to Me Too

Graceng
New Community Member
There is a same things happening for company call LANDIFINE (now change to WILKOOL. Here is the email that I sent to the company and they also reply the standards things. 1. The product your company show in website were a pair of Bluetooth earphones within a smart watch, but what I received were a old fashioned health bracelet. That totally another product of my purchase. 2. Delay deliver, I had order it from beginning of December, 2019, but your company fail to deliver my order two full week after my purchase. When I contact your CS, they said no full refund are accept nd I got to pay my own transport-fee. And now, either wrong product and late delivery are not acceptable. 3. The product that deliver to us are damaged package and the production of my purchase were far beyond enough. In other words, with unacceptable package like this would highly damaged my purchase. 4. Your CS once said to me that my purchase could not send to mainland China but lastly I saw the bill showed that it was sent from mainland China, it is ridiculous on late delivery and disallow my request. This is my statement: I totally disappointed on my purchase and CS respond, now I request a full refund, and I kept my legal rightness on suit your company.
Login to Me Too

MY-Canuck
Contributor
Contributor

Report to the Social Media site where you saw ad and report it.

Many sites, many emails, same situation. 

PayPal is just a payment scheme. Your solution is to dispute it with your credit card if PayPal dispute doesn’t work.

Kudos appreciated..
Remember if anything seems to good to be true, chances are it is!
Login to Me Too

TangoDJ
Contributor
Contributor

I think we need to contribute somehow to closing this kind of businesses. I myself reported in Federal Trade Commission. If the FTC accumulate more cases it might help them to launch the official actions against such sellers.

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/?utm_source=takeaction#crnt&panel1-4

Login to Me Too

Martpav
New Community Member
Same story as everyone else here. I have also filled an IC3 complaint and suggest everyone does the same https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
Login to Me Too

PaulSi
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry you've been scammed too. The scammers business model is based around PayPal's cr*p processes. It's very structured to allow for automation and is resourced by bots that provide AI without any 'I'. When you use the message centre the agents are obviously performance managed on the number of responses they provide and not on the quality of the response. I have a chain of messages to agents where I go full CAPS LOCK and ask them if they read the messages. Sure enough, the response comes back with: 'If you return your item we will review the seller's response ...' - useless. This plays into the scammer's hands. They make their money on the poor punters that give up in the process or who inadvertently miss the PayPal deadlines and get timed out.

PayPal has no interest in looking after its customers. As soon as I have a final determination I will be cancelling my account and taking to social media to shame this shabby company and its scammer friends.

Login to Me Too

ArelyDRC
Oh my gosh... I wasn't even awarre. Until I got scammed😠 by the company inshinee. com. Be aware you guys! Now I understand why when I asked for the shipment of the right item making me responsable for the costs they tould that it was impossible for them to send me the right item!!!
Login to Me Too

Frustrated0112
Contributor
Contributor

My problem was very similar. I ordered and paid via Paypal thinking there would be some protection. I ordered a pump up car jack and received a notice that the item had been posted together with a tracking number. Received an item I had not ordered although tracking number was correct. It was an empty cheap box advertised containing IT parts. I immediately lodged a claim with Paypal who looked into it but declined the refund as seller had stated that tracking number had indicated item delivered. Wrote to Paypal regarding their investigation and enclosed photos of item I received and I got no reply back. Lost faith in Paypal as they seem to be more inclined to support seller. As far as I am concerned, Gogobuy is a fraudulent organisation and nobody should buy any of their advertised products as it is a gigantic SCAM. No such problem with Australian sellers so no more overseas products. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.