Funds deducted twice for a claim I won.

Blkhearse
Contributor
Contributor
Good evening. I am new to posting to the community and to the entire “help” process. Luckily, I have had very few issues that have required any real assistance. Now that I am, unfortunately, In such a situation, I don’t feel like I am getting the information or assistance I need. I sold an item for $600. I took pictures of my wife and I packaging and mailing the items, which I provided to the purchaser along with the tracking number, on the same day. 3 weeks later he disputed with PayPal stating he never received it. My account was deducted the $600. I immediately provided proof of delivery, I won the claim and the funds were returned to my account. The purchaser then disputed the charge with his bank and PayPal again deducted the funds from my account. How is this possible? How am I held responsible for a claim between him and his bank, especially when I have done my due diligence and provided proof that things were handled properly on my end. When I asked how my PayPal account has ANYTHING to do with his bank and his personal dispute with them I was told that’s just the way it is and not to worry, PayPal will provide my proof to his bank and it will be resolved in a couple weeks. NOT TO WORRY?!?!? I’m sorry, but my broke **bleep** worries when I have $600 randomly removed from my account. I have been unemployed for 5 months and am in the process of moving to start a new job. In the meantime we have been buying a selling a good bit to help get by and that is now put to a stop while I just patiently wait for this to be resolved for a second time. Who is responsible for lost income while I am not able to process payments (in or out)? They can’t even provide me with a reasonable estimate on how long this should take. Is there anything I can do to speed up this process? Is there anything I can do to recoup some of the lost income I will Incur during this process? Is there anything I can do to hit the purchaser with punitive damages for wasting my time and hurting me financially? I am sorry for the long message, I am just at a point of such frustration and anger that I am having to be very careful about what and how I say things. Thank you for any advice that can be provided.
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Blkhearse 

"The purchaser then disputed the charge with his bank and PayPal again deducted the funds from my account. How is this possible?" 

Yes, that is possible if the buyer won't take no for answer. They can invoke their bank reversal/chargeback rights to dispute you if they lost the PayPal dispute as those terms may be broader than PayPal Buyer Protection terms. Perhaps the item got stolen off their premises, if its not a situation where the buyer claims you shipped to a nearby street address to scam the them, which does happen quite a bit (if reports in the forums are any indication). It's a lot of money for the buyer too.

When PayPal gets wind of it, they open a chargeback case on your account and deducts the funds again and these things take longer than your usual PayPal dispute, about 75 days or more. The financial institution makes the ruling, not PayPal this time. Its a different can of worms. The reason the buyer chooses for the claim with their financial institution has an impact on whether you are covered or not by seller protection. Just have to wait and see.

Read, read, read:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

https://www.paypal.com/us/brc/article/customer-disputes-claims-chargebacks-bank-reversals

If you want to seek damages, do it to the buyer direct. Take em to small claims court. Consult a lawyer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Blkhearse
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the quick response. Of course, as is normally the case, this does go a bit further. He did absolutely receive the items he paid $600 for. We did a transaction for another item, several weeks later, that we did a different payment method. This is actually the item he is stating he never received. Because he didn’t use PayPal for this item (which was only a $200 purchase) he can’t dispute that one. I have text messages from him stating he received the $600 item. He purchased 3 other items after that initial $600 purchase (he wouldn’t do that if he didn’t receive it). I have been actively working with him to figure out what happened to this last item he purchased, but now that he has started this, it certainly is not making me want to work harder to fix any issue. It just seems like poor business practices, to immediately side with the disputing party and damage (possibly irreversibly) the seller, without just cause or at least some form of investigation. I had an issue where I was on the other end. Instead of disputing with PayPal, I simply put in a dispute with my bank (USAA), they gave me a temporary credit while the issue was investigated, but they did not negatively hit the other party. I know this is true because it was with my father in law and I made sure he was not hit with a charge back while we worked out the issue. I guess I am just at such a desperate financial situation my anger is a lot higher than it normally would be. As I stated, I have been out of work for several months, we are moving for a new job and while searching for a new place to live, we have been living in hotels for over a month, and this could potentially cause me to not be able to provide a roof for myself, wife and two dogs (thank god for red roof inn being pet friendly and not charging extra for our two “kids”). It is so easy for someone to say “don’t worry”, or “it will work out” but when you are trying to get by, one day at a time (of course everyone is to some extent) that isn’t good news. Things working out in two weeks, or even worse 75 days, is the same as not working out at all. I know we are never guaranteed for things to go our way or for life to even be fair, but it sure sucks when it feels someone like this buyer, or even PayPal, are actively working against you.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.