Friends and family payment scam with directions

Jonathanjwalker
Contributor
Contributor
Hi! I was purchasing an item and the seller wanted to do the transaction through paypal Friends and family so it won't get flagged. I followed their directions and sent the payment. It's going for a month now and I didn't receive my item yet. Each time I contact the seller they can't provide me a tracking and they keep replying that they're going to mail it out. It's close to a month now with no item and caught in a scam. I even have screenshots of the conversation with her directions. Is there a way I can get my money back even with evidence of malicious intent from the seller? I read through friend and family this can't be disputed but I am trying to see if my case is different considering I have a screenshot of the directions.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jonathanjwalker 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

Be careful as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules and can lead to account limitation.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Jonathanjwalker
Contributor
Contributor
I do have a card funded with Chase and I will contact them tomorrow. I wanted to solve this through paypal. But I am trying to see if a PayPal representative will at least look at my case as the exception considering I have physical evidence of the person telling me how to send the money.
Login to Me Too

Jonathanjwalker
Contributor
Contributor
I am now receiving threats from the seller after filing a dispute through PayPal to see IF there's a solution. The seller has my home address and I babysit my 3 year old nephew for my sister 2 days out of the week since I work at home. I've screenprinted the threats and the conversation. This is my big comcern because I have a 3 year old staying with me. Can an official PayPal representative please get a hold of me? I am contacting my close friend who is a detective for advice. This got out of hand.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.