Fraudulent website, payment not showing in Activity to dispute

K-Lee
Contributor
Contributor

I paid $150 to a fraudulent website and besides feeling really stupid about it, I can’t seem to be able to dispute it because the transaction is not showing up in my activity log. I received an email confirmation with transaction numbers and stuff but never any confirmation from the seller itself, which is what tipped me off about it’s legitimacy. After about 30 minutes I began emailing and calling the listen “customer service numbers” only to be routed to a voicemail Of a frustrated woman stating that they were not associated with this “Dyson” and not to buy anything from the site as it is clearly a scam. Of course I tried contacting my bank and sat on hold for literally 3 hours so I came to PayPal and have been (barely) communicating with someone via messages. It’s taken 6 days and all I’ve been told is “transaction isn’t showing in my activity log.”  I’ve sent them copies of the emails, both the confirmation from the “seller”, as well as all my attempts to contact the then. The payment was made through PayPal but my personal account wasn’t activated until after the payment so I don’t know if that’s why it’s not showing? Am I still going to be able to dispute this transaction? It’s clearly a scam when the receipt from PayPal comes and the payment didn’t go to Dyson as you assumed it would but instead the email: <removed>

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

JerryBg8t
New Community Member

These people took me too. It is on my activity log and I am trying to figure out who they are . Hopefully paypal will refund me.

Login to Me Too

K-Lee
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a dispute and just explained the whole embarrassing situation and while it took a couple weeks due to the back and forth messaging PayPal was definitely willing to help me out. And I had made the “purchase” as a guest, so my account wasn’t registering the transaction on my end. About 3 weeks ago I was told that they reached out to the seller, put the funds on hold to gain their attention and demanded a legitimate tracking number within one week they would award me in favor of the dispute. It wasn’t more than a couple of days I received another message saying the dispute was resolved and in my favor, that the funds would be put back on my debit card within 10 days. However, that’s why I am logged back onto PayPal right now, to restart the message thread and figure out why the money hasn’t gone into my account yet, it’s been at least 2 weeks since it should have been there? I hope you get your money back, definitely send PayPal all the info about the site, I even included the number that’s listed on that webpage of which if you call it, goes to a very clearly annoyed woman shouting about it being a scam. They’ll help you out for sure. Best of luck! 

Login to Me Too

gkarab1
Contributor
Contributor

@K-Lee  Did PayPal ever resolve your dispute? Unfortunately I fell for the same Dyson scam and still have not been able to get my dispute resolved. In my case the merchant actually sent something-- a plastic iPhone case! I have been told I need to work this out directly with <removed>, but as you know...they do not respond. Just looking for other's experiences with this.

Login to Me Too

johnwm316
Contributor
Contributor

This <removed> is clearly fraudulent and it has been a process trying to retrieve my $259.00 from PayPal.  I recieved a cheap phone cover instead of the Dyson fans and reported early on that I thought this was a bogus seller.  Without all the in-between wha wha, the most recent dispute message from Paypal to me was that until this person acknowledges that the phone cover i returned has been received, they will support the Fraud Seller and I will loose the money I have spent.  I say **bleep** Paypal and their Fraudulent Sellers.   Paypal is Not working for the individuals who are being taken advantage of.

Login to Me Too

gkarab1
Contributor
Contributor

The SAME exact issue happened to me. I also received a plastic iPhone 11 case. This issue has been ongoing since July 16 for me, and still has not been resolved. 

Login to Me Too

johnwm316
Contributor
Contributor

Absolutely this <removed> is clearly fraudulent and it has been a process trying to retrieve my $259.00 from PayPal.  I recieved a cheap phone cover instead of the Dyson fans and reported early on that I thought this was a bogus seller.  Without all the in-between wha wha, the most recent dispute message from Paypal to me was that until this person acknowledges that the phone cover i returned has been received, they will support the Fraud Seller and I will loose the money I have spent.  I say **bleep** Paypal and their Fraudulent Sellers.   Paypal is Not working for the individuals who are being taken advantage of.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.