Fraudulent seller providing fake tracking which auto closes dispute!

Tinytown2001
Contributor
Contributor

Purchased and paid for and item on ebay. Product was 2 , 37.5 lb bags of dog food.  Item never received. $77.78 purchase. 

Filed dispute with paypal.  Seller responded with a tracking number.   UPS tracking number is not real.  Shows package weight was 4.20lbs???  Paypal is auto closing my dispute saying seller provided tracking number -  this happens within seconds of me entering info. 

Seller is now an unregistered user on ebay -   Ebay has removed item from my purchase history it is 'gray'. so I can't go to them.  What the heck do I do? 

I am out the $77 and paypal is not even actually reviewing - help! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tinytown2001 

Appeal the decision, can't give you any links as you haven't bothered to say what country you are in but the option should be in the resolution centre for 10 days post closure.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Tinytown2001 

Appeal the decision, can't give you any links as you haven't bothered to say what country you are in but the option should be in the resolution centre for 10 days post closure.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Wizzardking
New Community Member
I dont think you fully understand the situation or have done the proper research. Now you may have recieved shipment tracking information from the vendor but the information you received was fraudulent. I contacted the post office about my package and the tracking number I was provided. Now I saved an image of the tracking number for proof. However, the tracking number that was provided to me by the vendor actually belonged to someone else living in my same zip code as myself. You see I used that tracking number to track my package right up to the time the usps website marked it as delivered but that was not the case because I was at home at that time 3:54 and no package came. I immediately contacted the post office that I had no package as and if in fact the package had been deliver it had to have gone somewhere else. They confirmed that the package had gone to 212 18th st Colorado springs when in fact mine was 24 holly . The post office told me they would send a carrier to retrieve my package however recieved no response from the 212 address. After further investigation the post office was able to pull up an image of that package with the tracking I was provided from the vendor . The image revealed that the package was addressed to a john who is the resident of the 212 18th st. This is clearly some sort of scam and pay pal needs to get there facts straight
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Wizzardking 

Yep its a scam and best not to buy from Chinese websites or on Facebook ..............buyer beware.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Karen1261
Contributor
Contributor
Have the exact same problem. How did you resolve.
Login to Me Too

Jacktar
Contributor
Contributor

Th same thing has happened to me in the UK. How do I appeal?

Login to Me Too

TNSkydiver
New Community Member

Hello,

I'm in the US in TN and had the same issue with a fraudulent tracking number and an incorrect closed dispute.  How did you over come this? 

Login to Me Too

Jacktar
Contributor
Contributor

This has happened to me 3 times. Weeks after placing my order I have received a small parcel containing a useless low-value item and no paperwork. I didn't even relate this to my order placed weeks before. They've got their tracking number and I do not get reimbursed because the Paypal decision goes against me. Three times, once for a mop and bucket, another for a telescopic ladder, and the third for a pop-up tent. Paypal really needs to sort this out, if I am caught 3 times, statistically there must be thousands of others.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jacktar 

Don't buy from these.......

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

If you lost a dispute because they provided tracking then did you open a dispute for non receipt of item (which you would lose if there was a tracking number) OR item received but not as described???

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TNSkydiver 

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.