Fraudulent charges

Rdilund1
Contributor
Contributor

I contacted PayPal regarding two huge charges on my card. They said they would investigate it. In one day they sent me an email stating they determined the charges were authorized because I use the merchant. I have never purchased anything for $1600 in the same day or any day. The person lives in Ma. 
I’m baffled by their nonchalant manner in handling the case. 
Is there anyone else to contact to recover my $1600. I have shut the card down. Maybe I should contact the local news.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Gelai0408
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi, 

Thank you for reaching us thru community forum. Sorry for the inconvience. For unauthorized transaction. You can also file a dispute by folllowing guideline below:

How do I report potential fraud, spoof or unauthorized transactions to PayPal?

It’s extremely important to report any suspected instances of fraud. If you think your account has been compromised change your password and update your security questions right away to protect your account (we may limit what you can do on your account until you do so). Here are some types of fraudulent activity. Please follow the steps we’ve included below to report them:

• Unauthorized activity on your PayPal account
  • Unauthorized transactions on your PayPal Debit MasterCard®
  • Fake PayPal emails or spoof websites
  • Items not received or a potential fraudulent seller

Unauthorized activity on your PayPal account

If you've received an email notification that something has been changed on your account, but you don't remember changing it, please change your password and security questions. Next, you can update any changed information, such as your email address, address, phone number, or other profile information.

If you notice a transaction that you didn’t authorize on your PayPal, bank or credit card statement, let us know right away through our Resolution Center. Some charges may appear unfamiliar but are legitimate and authorized, learn more.

1. Go to the Resolution Center at the bottom of the page.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute, and click Continue.
  4. Select “I want to report unauthorized activity.”
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Follow the instructions to finish opening your dispute.

If you can't log in to your PayPal account, follow the steps to reset your password.

Unauthorized transactions on your PayPal Debit MasterCard®

If the unauthorized transaction involves your PayPal Debit MasterCard®:

1. Go to the Resolution Center at the bottom of the page.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute, and click Continue.
  4. Select “I want to report unauthorized activity.”
  5. Click Continue.
  6. Follow the instructions to finish opening your dispute.

Here's how to report your PayPal Business Debit Card lost or stolen.

1. Click PayPal debit card under your PayPal balance.
  2. Click the card you want to report lost or stolen under "Manage my cards."
  3. Click Report this card lost or stolen card.
  4. Click Deactivate Now.

Fake PayPal emails or spoof websites

If your account is limited, we'll send you an email with the reason for the limitation. For your convenience, we always list the steps to remove the limitation in the Resolution Center under Steps to Remove Limitation.

If you received an email stating that your account is limited but don't see any steps in the Resolution Center, you may have received a fake email. Forward it to spoof@paypal.com and we’ll investigate it for you. After you send us the email, delete it from your inbox. If you clicked on any links or downloaded any attachments within the suspicious email or website, log in to your account and view your transactions. It’s also a good idea to change your password.

Items not received or a potential fraudulent seller

If you sent a payment but haven’t received what you paid for, or believe the seller to be fraudulent, you should visit our Resolution Center. We’ve developed several programs to help protect you, and opening a dispute is the first step to help get your problem resolved. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute.
  4. Click Continue.
  5. Select either I didn't receive an item I purchased or the item I received was significantly not as described or I want to report unauthorized activity, depending on the nature of your dispute.
  6. Click Continue.
  7. Follow the instructions to file your dispute.

Here are some popular scams you should avoid.

Hope this Helps

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.