Fraudulent activity

Jamil9
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I'm from malaysia.i ordered a mystery box and it's clearly stated on the website that it will be sent from Canada or USA but I I received the item from China and the item is 50cent value and I paid 40 dollars.The thing is the website listed 13 item that I might receive 1 or all 13 depends as it is mystery box.I ordered 2 box but I received 1 small handkerchief size package includes 2 earpiece that not even listed on the item list Now it's clearly it is a scam and I can't argue much about the items because it it a mystery box.I have raised my dispute/complain through PayPal but this is what happens now.1)I was asked to return the item but the seller are giving the address which is very remote area in China and the cost for post the item will be 20dollar plus and the cost is under me.After the scammer received the item then only he will proceed with the refund.How can I proceed further with my case?The website says and shows a warehouse from China and USA but I received item from China.This is only the strong point I have.Who do I contact to further investigate this case?. so please tell me what can I do.Money is 1 thing but protect the buyer from this kind of scammer is more important.tq
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jamil9 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

In the event of a dispute you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you buy from that seller / item / country because....

Paypal state this >>
PayPal is not obliged to reimburse you for any costs that you incur to comply with any of PayPal’s requests for cooperation for the purpose of resolving the problem (including, without limitation, costs that you incur to return a SNAD item to the Payment Recipient or another party as PayPal requests), although sometimes it may reimburse these costs.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.