Fraudulent Transaction Made While Not Signed In

jacob61621
New Community Member

Hello,

As the title says I made a transaction while not signed in.

I haven't used paypal in a couple of years, and went to buy something from what looked like a credible website online that offered paypal as a payment option. I made a purchase on my debit card through paypal, but neglected to sign in because it seemed inconvenient at the time. I did however use my email, so I received a confirmation email with a transaction ID, etc.

Soon after, I checked my banking app and noticed that the vendor's name was a bunch of Chinese characters. This seemed suspicious, as the vendor was supposedly in America, and the whole website was in English. 

I called the provided customer service number and immediately went to voicemail. The voicemail stated that the phone number was a personal number and not associated to the website that listed it.

From this point I can safely assume that this transaction was fraudulent. 

Because I didn't sign in, when I go to dispute the transaction it says that there is no transaction found, and I haven't found a way to enter the transaction ID in order to try and dispute it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jacob61621 

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and didn't log into your Paypal account then of course it won't show on that Paypal account because you bought as a guest buyer.
However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

You don't have Paypal buyer protection cover as a guest buyer but you can contact customer services and they may be able to assist you by reaching out to the seller for you.
So If you need help for a guest buyer transaction then you can;

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will help you.
OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

JadedNFaded
New Community Member
I find it strange that your problem is exactly like mine and I wonder if we bought the same things from the same store. Thank you to the man with the answer I will be following the same advice because my plight is exactly the same.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.