Fraudulent Seller

neicy62
Contributor
Contributor

I made a purchase with paypal for this seller <removed>. I never received my product. I contacted paypal who contacted the seller and he supplied paypal with a tracking#. I called UPS only to find out that this seller shipped it from 3M in Minnesota to a different address in my town. I called 3M and haven't heard back from them. I called the company that received the package and told them Ryan signed for the package. They said they don't know what I'm talking about and can not help me. I've called paypal but customer service is not in due to the COVID19. I've sent messages to paypal with no response, but their website keeps giving me errors. What do I do from here?

Login to Me Too
55 REPLIES 55

desertair
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.  I filed an original complaint because I never received the product. As a result I was given a UPS tracking number which when I called UPS they said it was from an attorney to a resident in my area and was listed as legal papers.  I don't care about the money but PayPal needs to be aware that 1) fraudulent use of their service removes the security we feel when we use PayPal, and 2) that this is not a newbie but an experience hacker who can acquire UPS tracking numbers to the same zip code and use them to continue the fraud.  Time for the FBI in my opinion.

Login to Me Too

Roldielee
Contributor
Contributor

I was also ripped off by Nguyen <removed> hand sanitizer schema. Never got a confirmation email for order. Disputed it right after it sent payment to some bogus email within mins of ordering realizing it was fake. I actually like Paypal, but dealing with PayPal customer service was a nightmare. Tried to close this but Paypal auto closes your case if the criteria was not exactly labeled properly without the ability to reopen the case. And with no Cust service or automated way to fix it they leave you hanging for month plus. I know Paypal normally works but this process of refund is clearly broken and needs a Sr. Dev manager in San Jose to get back to work.

Login to Me Too

Zisabelle

I had the same issue, although it was with a fraudulent coffee machine website for an espresso machine. Looks like this kind of scam is ticking up since COVID. Although understandable, Paypal not having any staff in customer service center also made the resolution very difficult and stressful. Understandably this is causing PayPal big loss as well. The company should pay attention to this trend and be more vigilant on seller accounts. For example, the website that scammed me had the seller as a company, yet the account associated with my receipt is a gmail account. I tried to escalate as soon as I noticed this suspicious detail (20 minutes after placing the order), but had no way of contacting the company to prevent them from transferring the fund. 

I have messaged PayPal now that the seller provided "tracker number" that shows the package was shipped 4 days BEFORE the order date and it was delivered today (spoiler alert: it never did!). Also the tracking details shows a 0.6 LB package for an espresso machine that weighs 27.4 LBS. 

PayPal: Please step up to protect buyer, as well as yourself. This scam is getting popular. Many of the scammers are solely using PayPal as their payment method, it says something about your security level. 

Other buyers: Please protect yourself and be extra extra careful with checking seller legitimacy. The website that scammed me looked really legitimate. The only thing that gave them away (after I got suspicious upon receiving paypal receipt) was the link of "Store Locator" being a dead end.... Be careful, it's dangerous out there. 

Login to Me Too

Jillian317
Did anyone else have a $20 shipping?
Login to Me Too

Lalapco11
New Community Member
I got the same issue. Seller made a fake document to show its being dropped at my front door. Lost $54. PayPal didn’t investigate since there were so many similar cases from this seller. Beware guys and good luck!
Login to Me Too

nickmermigas
New Community Member
Same. Seller/scammer created a phony Fed ex label. Tried buying a Sony Playstation 5 on Etsy...(yeah I know)... Shipping label created days before I ordered it and package weight was apparently 0.5 lbs. Never received anything and my case is denied. Very frustrating.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.