Fraudster

beth231
Contributor
Contributor
Hi All, I made a payment this morning for an item they were selling on a local selling site via FB. Since sending the payment I have seen posts about the seller on other sites claiming she was a fraudster. She would take payments via PayPal or bank transfer, but never send the goods. I have tried to contact her since but she has blocked me on the site...I have also requested refund but she has responded. Will I be able to claim back via PayPal?
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@beth231 

Well you haven't said the important bit which is how you paid, ie which paypal option did you select to send the funds?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

beth231
Contributor
Contributor
I think it was already on send to family/friends. I have all the messages screenshot that she sent me before blocking me.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@beth231 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will assist you but unfortunately as it was a 'gift' payment they may decline as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

beth231
Contributor
Contributor
It was funded via credit card, I will contact them too. Thanks.
Login to Me Too

eyeswideopen
Contributor
Contributor

Check with Paypal on your account to see if the payment has been made to the seller.You may only cancel a payment if it appears in your account ‘Summary’ under ‘Pending payments’ and, when you click on it, the status shows as Unclaimed. You’ll notice a ‘Cancel’ button next to the payment. Simply click Cancel to stop the payment.

Once a payment’s status is ‘Completed’, it can no longer be cancelled. You can instead request a refund from the recipient. Send the recipient an email asking them to find the payment in their ‘Activity’, click on it and then click Issue a refund.

Hope this helps

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@eyeswideopen 

Did you actually read the original posters post?

The seller is hardly likely to refund as they have blocked her and run off with her money.

As she sent a GIFT payment she CANNOT open a dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.