Fraudlent USPS Tracking Numbers / PayPal Falling for the Scam

Cueay
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently, as long as PayPal receives a tracking number that "works" in the USPS tracking system, they immediately side with the Merchant and close your case -- if you indeed did not receive the item.   There is some type of scam going on now, confirmed today by a USPS employee that I talked to on the phone, where the scam-seller gets a hold of a tracking number that is geographically close to where the buyer is, and then gives that to PayPal as "proof" of delivery.      PayPal then just closes your case, and you don't get your money back...and the criminal keeps your money.  PayPal makes it super difficult to communicate with them to resole the case properly.

PayPal is getting scammed, and we customers are getting scammed;  PayPal doesn't want to deal with this by doing the right thing and are pushing the liability back to us, the customer.   I'm done with that.

I now have the US Postal Service engaged via a case, and I have documentation which I have forwarded to PayPal proving that the tracking number was fraudulent.   If this fails to resolve the case, I will open a small claims court case locally and they can send their $250 per hour attorney to defend the case, which they will lose.  

PayPal has been very good for 20 years, and now -- they've completely failed the customer.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Cueay 

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.