Fraudalent Sellers from China

bongd1983
New Community Member

I purchase a family tennis training system from a seller from China for $29.99 plus about $5.00 for shipping. After 30 days, I received a cheap plastic toy that probably costs a dollar.  I filed a dispute case. While waiting for a resolution, I did more research and found out that the seller is a fraud. I saw some comments on their ads in FB that some people who ordered the tennis training system received the same cheap item I received. Now, the seller's response is for me to to return the item sent to me at my cost, back to China with an address in Chinese characters, although the return address on my package is from Californina...DUH..alert alert! It is almost like they have been familiar with the process and buyers just eventually give up. A. It will probably cost more to send the product back to China and unless you're Chinese, how can you write an address in Chinese characters in the first place. B. It will take another month to send it back if the seller will even claim they received the item. Even if Paypal gives me credit for the amount I paid, it really p-ss me off that this Chinese seller has gotten away with stealing money and I don't know how many others they have victimized.  Meantime, Paypal continues to do business with them.  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bongd1983 

Another of these???

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win non receipt of item claims.

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.