Fraud

jp254958
New Community Member

I purchased an item several weeks ago through a Facebook ad. 

The ad indicated that they were selling Maui Jim sunglasses.  I purchased two.

When I received the confirmation email, it was loaded with spelling errors and looked to be in Chinese.  Immediately I contested the sale through PayPal because it looked like a scam.

I contacted the seller privately twice via email asking them to cancel the sale.  No response.  

I launched a dispute through PayPal and it has taken several weeks.  The seller keeps waiting for the last possible minute to respond - seemingly on purpose - to maximize the time they have to keep their fraudulent account open.

• I contacted the seller through the PayPal dispute center.  They responded once saying they privately emailed me - which was a lie after searching.
  • Ultimately, I received two sunglasses that were not Maui Jim sunglasses.  They were cheap, fake sunglasses with in Maui Jim box and case.
  • The seller is waiting for the last possible minute to respond through the dispute process - seemingly to keep their account open and stretch this out.  They just offered me a half price, which I rejected.
  • I want my money back now.  I'm very concerned that 1) I'm not going to get a full refund; 2) the seller is scamming other people in PayPal; 3) PayPal's system is being manipulated and protecting this fraudulent seller.
  • I'm concerned that the seller will now ask me to send back the glasses - which I would - but that they will either claim not to receive them (I will definitely use a tracking number) or that I did not return the correct items since they are scam artists. 

Does anyone know what I can do to get a refund now?  

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Chas9
Contributor
Contributor

I had the exact same experience. Total fraud by another Chinese company ripping off Americans by pretending to be an American company using their likeness illegally and advertising on big platform American companies like Groupon and Facebook. How does Facebook marketplace/Groupon get away with putting up adds like this. No due diligence what so ever. They accept the ad money without having a clue if the company is legit. Maui Jim should should be seeking compensation from them. As should all the American customers ripped off. In the banking industry it’s called knowing your customer. Shame on Facebook and Groupon for lousy business practices. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.