Fraud

Gio2kw
New Community Member
I believe I have been had. Is there any way to report them and get my money back?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Gio2kw 

Yes, if you had paid for the transaction under buyer protection ( goods and services ) you can file and open a dispute regarding the transaction in attempt to recover the lost/stolen funds you can contact PayPal to report the user on the other hand 🙂

Thanks

Harley

If you found this helpful, give me a kudo!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Gio2kw 

Yes, if you had paid for the transaction under buyer protection ( goods and services ) you can file and open a dispute regarding the transaction in attempt to recover the lost/stolen funds you can contact PayPal to report the user on the other hand 🙂

Thanks

Harley

Login to Me Too

alchemistousley
New Community Member

I did; PP denied my dispute each time, and their policy is once a dispute is closed, for any reason, you can't open it up again.

Login to Me Too

alchemistousley
New Community Member

On two separate occasions, when responding to an ad for merchandise, once I pay for the items using PayPal (usually using PP Credit), I find that the merchant(s) is Chinese, and they leave no way to contact them, or if they do, it's a fake email account. Anyway, payment goes through, and on the first such transaction, I do not receive the item, and file a dispute, charging non-delivery of item. PayPal contacts the vendor, who then supplies them with a USPS tracking number, saying "delivery was made". PayPal then finds the dispute in the vendor's favor, and I'm stuck with the bill for nothing. This just happened again, and this time, the vendor sent cheap face masks, instead of the Stihl chainsaw they offered. There was nothing until I contacted Paypal to file a dispute, again about non-delivery, and the vendor used the tracking number for the facemasks as proof of delivery, and PayPal has once again sided with the vendor. With each case, fraud happened, and PayPal is siding with the fraudulent vendor, not me. Anyone else had this issue? I've called PayPal, but get the usual corporate run-around treatment. Advice on how we can report PayPal for defending Chinese thieves?

Login to Me Too

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @alchemistousley 

Hmm, unsure about this sort of thing, but if you cannot get in contact with them on email address or phone or the purchasing platform after 7-12 days go ahead and file a report for the transaction into PayPal and then report the email address and explain the situation. Unfortunately it can be slow to get a reply but if you pop onto live chat when its open should be able to report there 🙂

Thanks

Harley

Login to Me Too

Gio2kw
New Community Member
Where is the link to report?
Login to Me Too

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Gio2kw 

Please find an additional information link regarding reporting fraud to PayPal below.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-report-potential-fraud-to-paypal-faq2422

Thanks,

Harley

If this help please give me a kudo! 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@alchemistousley 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake tracking numbers.

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gio2kw 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If you lose because seller provides a fake tracking number then post back for more advice.
If the item arrives and its tat then make sure you CHANGE the dispute quickly before it closes to not as described if too late contact customer services to open a second one for you.
If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback.

Also make sure you have activated the below link in case you have to return the item when Paypal requests you to...or correct one for your country.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.