Fraud dispute

SLI39
Contributor
Contributor
I am writing to understand why recent activity has not been declared fraudulent. An individual clearly hacked my outlook account, set up PayPal credit and directed all emails to the deleted folder. Fortunately my card on the site expired, so no further payments could be made. The fact that this account had been inactive for three years is additional proof that it had been tampered with. Moreover, I can prove that the mobile number associated with the credit purchases amounting to £1200 is not mine. I would like some guidance about how to proceed, as the resolution centre has decided to close the case.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SLI39 

Sadly paypal does not cover for every unauthorised claim.

If they think the responsibility of the hack was down to you ie allowing your computer to be hacked / virus on your computer OR you gave away your password in a spoof email then you would not be covered.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dusterhunter
Contributor
Contributor

It should not matter how it happened, we are victims of crimes and they should be insured, just as if our credit card got used, we did not authorize it and we were lied to or part of scam that is not for them to decide on the outcome based on that

Login to Me Too

SLI39
Contributor
Contributor
I have a very secure set-up, and I have some evidence that a seller released my information, as I have only one valid purchase on my account. Furthermore, PayPal should by no means have released their credit that easily if someone was posing as me. I will follow this up with the fraud department.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.