Fraud and NO seller protection.

Secretrsl
Contributor
Contributor
I sent a nearly new phone out to someone November 2019 by recorded post in UK via eBay. End of January buyer reports it as 'not as described' and ooened case against me claiming they contacted me. They did not and did not supply evidence of this to PayPal either. I informed PayPal of this, questioned the 2 month period they waited, told PayPal no eBay case was opened, asked PayPal for evidence from the buyer that they contacted me and told them I believed it to be an attempt at fraud. PayPal returned their money. Just like that and concluded buyer return the phone. Buyer returned a completely different item which was old and broken. As if to rub my face in it, the fact they were ripping me off. I appealed. PayPal asked me to report it as a crime. I did. Sent PayPal crime number etc. I had phone IMEI etc. And videos the opening of the returned item I new would not be the one I sent out. PayPal stated this was not enough and under their policy rules find in the buyers favour. Unbelievable. Completely no protection for sellers as how can PayPal prove what item I sent out which is the loophole thieves I encountered are using. An absolute scandal.
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Secretrsl 

May not be enough for paypal but you would surely win in the small claims court with all that evidence.

Also you could reach out to the buyer and state you will be taking him to the small claims court and see if that will encourage him to pay you again?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Secretrsl
Contributor
Contributor
That is Idealistic. The fact still remains and the issue....how do I prove I sent them that phone. This is the loophole they are using to commit fraud. Plus I have now Googled the address where the phone was sent to in Scotland. It is a dive. No doubt a drug addict house. The fact remains it is still a crime. I will get the phone blocked if possible but as it was an unlocked item I am not sure if this is possible. I am truly disgusted with PayPal. Now they are ringing me to get the balance of the money they returned to the thief as my account is in arrears because of PayPal negligence.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Secretrsl 

ok

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DCMoe13

I thought PayPal's buyer protection would protect me from scammers, but it is the other way around. It also seems that individual sellers scammed by buyers are also left holding the bag. I had a terrible experience and so I decided to write about it. If you want to contribute your experience, please contact me through my website at christinemcondo.com/contact.php. All responses will be anonymized to protect your privacy.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.