Fraud! Scam! PayPal doesn't care

johnny0486
Contributor
Contributor

Can i do anything?

PayPals response has been horrible!

I made a purchase with a company called Skara Mall and the following day my wife discovered online that Skara Mall was questioned to be a legitimate company. After my wife identified that I immediately called the number on Skrara Malls website only to find that the provided phone number is disconnected, the email doesn't exist and the address is a motel. The purchase shows Dinh  <removed> not Skara Mall

After discovering that the contact information was not in service I attempted to contact PayPal by phone but their phone services are closed indefiantly. I then contacted PayPal by their site and filed a claim (Purchase was made Saturday claim was made Sunday). This morning (Thursday) I was informed that the claim was denied because the “seller” provided a tracking number from UPS (I don’t know how Paypal contacted the Seller because they won’t tell me).

After the notification of denied claim I contacted UPS with the provided tracking only to find that the name and address associated with the tracking number was not mine and because of that UPS would not provide me much information. What I learned from UPS- the package was delivered yesterday (Wednesday) but not at my address, the name that was on the package was not even close to my name (UPS told me that). The package that was sent weighed 1.10lbs but the item that I thought I was buying weighed 30lbs. I went back and informed PayPal of the situation of what I found out. The “customer service center” told me that nothing can be done unless I have a picture of what was shipped (it wasn’t shipped to me so I have nothing to take a picture of) or provide them with the name and address on the shipment which I don’t have either because UPS will not give it to me.

This is a horrible response by PayPal! Beware their services are worthless and they don’t care!

Login to Me Too
19 REPLIES 19

Lulu222
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any way to investigate this further?  It seems that this is a recent development and many have been scammed by this "Skara Mall" so called company.  I also went through all the procedures that the others have gone to provide Paypal with requested documents.  UPS informed me that they can not provide me with an Intranet Document requested by Pay pal.  

I will NOT be using Paypal in the future as I know now that they are not doing anything to protect their customers!

Login to Me Too

JCHG
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly the same issue. Made a small  purchase of bicycle parts off a dodgy website. Received a single plastic bead in a small envelope. Filed a claim stating this. Was denied by PayPal because the merchant presented the tracking number.

I was prepared for a loss, so if PayPal pleaded impotence, I would accept that. But they are essentially facilitating this kind of fraud.

I could not find out how to appeal on their website. I see there is a message in this thread with instructions. Use Twitter??? I don't have an account. Use Facebook?? I don't have an account. Call PayPal - who might not answer?? 

How about PayPal puts PayPal dispute resolution appeals on PayPal's website?????

Now they've got me so ticked off I think I'll contact my bank and the California consumer protection agencies.

Login to Me Too

JCHG
Contributor
Contributor

In fairness to Paypal, they have accepted my appeal. And they returned my money!!

I used their messaging function. It warned of a a multi-hour wait, and of course my session timed out long before then. However they did look at the detailed message I typed into their tiny box (copy and paste is your friend) and reopened the case. I then attached photos of the tracked and very tiny envelope I received.

I would be  happier with a more transparent dispute/appeal process. As they have compensated me, I can hardly complain, but it would be best to prevent the situation in the first place. Of course scammers will always find another way.

Login to Me Too

thickchick
Contributor
Contributor

comiclake is the name of a company i ordered from. i put a dispute because the tracking number didn't work and i had placed an order may 2 and at the time of my complaint to pay pal it was now June. well July 3, 2 months after i ordered a hair dryer. i received two face mask from the company.  i paid 60.00 for a hair drier and this company sent me two 2.00 masks. i send the photo of the mask and the package and weight that the mask came in. i went on line i took a picture of the item that i actually ordered and proved that the hair drier would weigh so much more than two face mask. upload upon upload i send to pay pal. then i come here to pay pal community only to learn that there is over 10 pages of customers complaining about this same exact company, who sent them face mask or something other then what they ordered. So i was confident that i would win my case and get my money back... absolutely not. nope pay pal tells me the tracking number shows that the order was delivered.  so now i have to work with my banks fraud department.  The BBB. as well as consumer product. and whoever else i need to contact. this is not about 60.00 its about a company who states they are here to protect we the consumer, when clearly that is not true. if they follow the tracking number and it reads delivered, that's all that matters to them. even if you did take a picture and sent it to them wouldn't matter because i took pictures and sent them in, as well as 11 pages of other pay pal customers who have been scammed by this company. and pay pal is allowing them to steal from hard working people. my hats off to you pay pal. your doing a bang up job protecting your loyal customers.....NOT!

Login to Me Too

Hellocorey
Contributor
Contributor

Omg .. I to was sent to masks ..what was the name of the company and what did you buy... me a sewing machine price 89.99 company Wang jia and or stapples. I have now been appealing since March with no help from PayPal in fact just the opposite every day 6 or 7 times a day I both call and message and get no where I have real proof .. but the criminals that includes PayPal have the upper hand.. I say let's get together and due a class action suit.

Login to Me Too

wilx3mom

Totally agree with this - I have 2 purchases - one was shipped and like another post - totally NOT what I ordered from what I thought was a company in the USA. I was sent 2 cheap masks (not at all what I ordered) and was told by paypal I would have to ship them back at my cost.  I uploaded discriptions of what I ordered and a picture of what was sent.  Well come to find out I have to ship them CHINA and the cost of shipping is $63 and the entire cost of the purchase was $65.  So paypal denied my claim - I am pursuing with American Express.  

The other is a shipment for an item I ordered in February/March for about $57.  I had to go look up the charge because it showed up on the account as something from someplace called - I kid you not - **bleep** - which was NOT the name listed when I ordered it.  It at least showed it was for what I ordered but it still has not arrived.  There is a tracking number and you guessed it, also says that it is coming from China.  I still don't have it and Paypal has not addressed it - latest on the claim from June 29 - is that they are allowing the "company" more time to repond.  It was supposed to have been addressed and closed by now.  I am waiting for Paypal to do what I expect - deny the claim.  And I will file it also with American Express.  

I am truly considering closing my paypal account.  They do not support/protect the buyers from fraudulent businesses.  

Login to Me Too

Moca82
Contributor
Contributor

I got my refund because I filed a claim with UPS. I provided ups with the package weight difference by googling the product on google and  screenshoting a photo of the item description's weight and a screenshot of the package weight  Skaramall.com shipped and uploaded the photos to the UPS claim, along with screen shot of original receipt sent to email. Also with a detailed message explaining to UPS their fraud of shipping packages to random addresses within your zipcode simply to provide Paypal with "proof of delivery". Once ups deems the package "Lost" you take a sceenshot of the claim and upload it to Paypal under the messages an you'll get the refund. Do it! And google a state agency and report them as I did! DON'T LET THEM WIN!

Login to Me Too

zjh23
New Community Member

I just googled and saw this about same experience as mine, mine is even earlier than your case.

My dispute of my credit card is failed, that is why I am researching now...I will show this to them again!

Such a bad experience!!!

Login to Me Too

Lulu222
Contributor
Contributor
I wound up getting a refund from PayPal after a long fight. You need to keep a conversation going on the instant chat window. That was the only way I was able to communicate with PayPal. After being instructed by Paypal to obtain an 'Internet document' from UPS which, in fact, UPS will not provide because of privacy reasons, UPS suggested that I forward all my email communications from them stating that my package was NEVER delivered to MY intended address. There will be a tracking number that shows order was completed, but it was delivered to a random address and NOT my address. UPS can not tell you where it was delivered. They will only tell you that it was delivered to another address. I was able to get a refund after forwarding all my conversations from UPS to PayPal. I am thankful that I was able to get it, however, I will be very reluctant to use them again in the future knowing that I will have to go through a vigorous process to dispute anything. Even after all this I still see that this so called company called 'Skara Mall' is still up, active and running. I would suggest that you Google and search addresses and phone numbers from companies before purchasing anything.
Login to Me Too

coastal89
Contributor
Contributor

I completely agree.  I've had a dispute with PayPal for the past week against **bleep** Tran (Console Games Store). This scammer sent PayPal proof of delivery of my item; however, I verified with UPS that the tracking number does not match my information.  All the scammer did was replace the receiver address with just the city and state and completely deleted the shipper information. PayPal still insists this is "compelling information" from the seller and have just denied my dispute.  You can't get a live person on the phone. All they have to do is contact UPS and confirm with them that this tracking number has nothing to do with me but because you can only message them, they can't do that. I have now closed my PayPal account and will have nothing to do with them after they've decided to side with the scammer and let them get away with doing this under different names, all within Console Games Store. I go my money back by disputing the charge with my bank but that's not the point.  PayPal should check on the people who are allegedly selling things and using them for payment. I have had this account for years but not any longer. And now I have to wait for them to reply to my message to close my account because the only way to do that is on the phone and guess what?  Nobody's able to speak to us.  Everybody, please be careful with these scammers and don't trust PayPal to have your best interests, because they don't care.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.