Fraud Payment or Scam on Paypal - No help from Paypal

NhuHoang
Contributor
Contributor

I got email from Paypal to notice I got a payment of 1,243.34AUD out of my account via Paypal. I'm based in Australia but the shipping address is to United States and the merchant is CONTEXTLOGIC AUSTRALIA PTY LTD , which I did not place any order or purchase anything online from them. I reckon it is fraudulent. 

I reported the problem to paypal and they are responsive with the answer is they can't do anything because it was automatic payment . Paypal is a payment gateway but they are hopeless on my case and it is not small amount. I had contacted the bank this morning for void the payment and further investigation since Paypal disclaim this fraud payment. 

please anyone is facing the same problem as mine?

Login to Me Too
28 REPLIES 28

Kat4321
Contributor
Contributor
I’ve had the same thing same company nearly the same amount. I contacted my bank and they’ve placed a stop on any PayPal transactions and have just sent a dispute through PayPal but from what I’m reading doesn’t sound like that will help 😞
Login to Me Too

NhuHoang
Contributor
Contributor

yeah i'm trying to report to Paypal and again this morning I revived the same answer. Paypal doesnt care or want to know what happening . Try your bank..if they can help. I reported the bank straight way in the morning after i saw that fraud transaction. they said the case is filed and under investigation. Hope they can something. Im completely burst out 

Login to Me Too

TB161
New Community Member
I too had this problem and the details were re Contextlogic whom I had not placed an order with. My initial response was to say it was an pre organised payment and PayPal could do nothing. I then messaged and said it was fraud and they have reopened it because I did not receive any goods. Mine was for almost $1700 AUD. They had already paid money so now I have to wait to see if I get a refund.
Login to Me Too

NhuHoang
Contributor
Contributor

you are lucky i guess, Paypal completely washed my off by said that was automatic payment which I had agreed in the past ( 2018) so they will have nothing to do with that and disclaim the fraud transaction. very bad way to deal with my issue and im very disappointed. 

i had reported to bank, and i'm quite happy with the bank's positive response. finger crossed for the bank can help. 

Login to Me Too

Lyndall
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for letting me know. That's really good news. Paypal has now refunded my money as well and I'm very relieved. I hope the others who've had the same problem will get help as well. 

For the other victims of this scam - it's very worthwhile to report the case as FRAUD to PayPal and to also let your bank know because they hold a bit more power than we do to get the case solved.

• The other important thing is to check what authorisations are active in your PayPal account. I had a few which shouldn't be there, so I deleted them. 
  • Go to PayPal Security and increase the security on your account as well. Put in 2-step authentication.
  • It's probably worthwhile as well to only link cards with very limited funds to your PayPal account so that any future possible damage is limited.
  • If you have a dispute about a seller or a buyer, you should file a dispute through the Resolution Centre by logging in to your PayPal account.

If you have a complaint about our services, or believe your PayPal account may be subject to an unauthorised transaction, account takeover or other type of fraudulent activity, you should contact us immediately.

You can report complaints about our Services by:

• <removed>
  • If you need to talk to someone, there is a phone number in the User Agreement section of the website.
    Below is the information there:
    Submitting a complaint or dispute

All the best with your cases. I hope the fact that several of us were affected is proof of fraudulent activity with this merchant.

Let us know how you all go.

🙂

Login to Me Too

MiMi722
Contributor
Contributor
I find myself in a very similar predicament. PayPal closed my case and the only response I get from the seller are emails to buy more items. I can't even get tracking info. I backed out of the transaction and saw the charge when checking my account. Where do I go for resolution?
Login to Me Too

NhuHoang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, how are you going with your case? Paypal closed my case right after 1 day. I kept on contacting them for solution but their response was the same. 

I tried to contacted the merchant and report the fraudulent, also sent them all captures other similar cases which are on Paypal community to prove that I'm either got account hacked or the merchant is scammer.  But they still processed the sale and ship the order, at this point of time i'm receiving notification email of order being dispatched . How weird is that? I kept on contacting them to show my anger. There is no response as well. 

Though, I just got the email from Paypal agian on Monday to say I got refund. And yes, the amount is refunded to my account. 

Good luck

Login to Me Too

Block1
I also had exactly the same thing occur. Appears someone hacked my account and activated one touch then made 3 transactions totally about $2600 AUD - Contextlogic. Could not contact PayPal so called bank to put a stop on PayPal transaction. Once PayPal completed the transactions I logged the transactions with the resolution centre - awaiting a reply !!
Login to Me Too

SimonofDoom
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, 

I too was recently defrauded by Context Logic Australia Pty. Ltd. with no help from Paypal. In fact, after following the Paypal process they actively awarded the case to Context Australia despite the scam of sending a 3c item and only offering a refund if i returned it by registered mail at another 16.80 cost to me. 

We'll be launching a Class Action lawsuit to make an example of these criminals exploiting the Paypal and Wish Loopsholes. Plese email us with your story and amount defrauded at <removed> 

All the best, 

Concerned Citizen. 

Login to Me Too

kimzim
Contributor
Contributor

amount of $146.93 appearing in pay pal via wish - no way have I placed an order for this amount

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.