Flaw in the PayPal Dispute Process

Oldtimer_Bill
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered a piano keyboard from an ad on Facebook. I wasn't 100% sure that the seller was legitimate but I thought, PayPal will stand behind me. When the piano didn't arrive for 3 weeks I sent an inquiry to PayPal. PayPal contacted the seller who assured them that the piano was on the way. A week later I got an email from PayPal telling me that I only had one more day before my time was up to to escalate the issue to a dispute. I started a dispute and picked the reason for the dispute being I had not received the piano. I explained that I did expect to receive the piano but wouldn't know until I received it if it was "as described" in the ad. I got a reply from PayPal that they were reviewing my dispute. Two days later, I received the piano. It was completely different that the piano in the ad. I found a place to submit additional information but I don't know if PayPal ever got it or reviewed it. Yesterday I received notice that my dispute was denied because I had received the piano. Since the time limit is past I can't file another dispute with the reason being the piano I received was nothing like the one that was advertised. Can anyone suggest what to do now to get a refund?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Oldtimer_Bill 

There is an option to 'change' the dispute from non receipt TO not as described before it closes which sadly you did not do?

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal (when and if you can) and see if they will open a second dispute for you.
They may decline citing policies but if you say what happened then they might open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Oldtimer_Bill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks for the info. I would have changed the reason for the dispute from "Product Not Received" to "Product Not As Described" but I didn't actually receive the product until after the time limit was up on the dispute. I tried to send PayPal additional information about why the Product was not as Advertised and either they did not receive it or they chose to ignore it. This timing of the dispute is the flaw I see in the PayPal dispute process. I suspect the seller was aware of this policy and made sure they waited to ship it so it would not arrive until it was too late to start a dispute.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.