Filing dispute for counterfeit item

minty11
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I need some advice. I recently ordered some brand name clothes off a website thinking it was a sale that was advertised on Facebook. I didn't give it any thought at the time as the website looked exactly like the brands website. I got really suspicious when I saw the payment details and the email I received from the merchant. I did some further digging and found out that I was tricked into buying counterfeit merchandise. The product has already allegedly shipped even though the DHL tracking says its enroute to be transferred to USPS. Its been 9 days already with no update to the tracking at all. I've already asked the seller that I discovered that they're selling counterfeit merchandise and I would like a refund which unsurprisingly haven't heard back from the seller. I've confirmed via email with the actual brand company that the website in question is a fake. I know when it comes counterfeit items paypal requires me to return the product. The sellers return policy requires me to pay a restocking fee, shipping fees, and handling fees. I flat out refuse to pay those fees for something that the merchant is flaunting as a real product. Please advise how should I proceed?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

CCC8
New Community Member

Hi there, 

I had the exact same issue but via Instagram. Despite me opening up a dispute, the only way I could get a refund is to send the item back to the address they provide, and then you can ask PayPal to reimburse you for the cost of shipping up to £15 I believe. I am trying to get my refund of shipping through PayPal now (not managed to find the link yet). It seems ridiculous that we as those who purchase an item are the ones seemingly that get punished and not those that are selling counterfeit goods! Outrageous if you ask me. I received the item that was obviously counterfeit and sent photos as proof but that did not suffice for PayPal. have to send back to the seller to get the refund. 

Login to Me Too

minty11
Contributor
Contributor

That's unfortunate to hear. That's the reason I haven't filed a dispute yet if it never arrives i'll most likely file it as never received. I have emails from the actual brand and screenshots of the actual website and the fake. but hearing that you got the "you have to return the "fake" product first" run around clearly sucks.

Login to Me Too

CCC8
New Community Member

It does, but I believe it was 'complicated' by the fact I actually received the item. If you find that you don't receive the item I think it is easier for you to request a refund for a product that never arrived. Mine was tricky because I suppose it is my 'judgement' that the item is fake. I forgot a missing part- the seller offered to pay a few £ as the refund but I declined that option (all mediated via PayPal dispute) because why should I pay 90% for an item that is fake and being sold at a real price value! The item itself was clearly only worth a couple of quid at best. It's taken a month to get to this point. The seller then gave me an address in china that I could not read (!) even though the item came from the USA apparently, so I had to get PayPal to get me an address in English which I now have. Posted with RM yesterday. I await my refund whenever the item 'arrives'! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.