Feature Request: Show Country of Origin of account when sending money

zbaker202
Contributor
Contributor

I was just scammed for $50 dollars (not that much but still annoying), I called pay pal and since it was a "friends and family" transaction they would neither refund the money, nor flag the corresponding account. 

I noticed that in the transaction details it shows the country of origin that the money will be transferred to. If this information was presented up front I would have realized it was a scam and not proceeded with the transaction. 

There should also be an option to flag an account (and their banking information) /  for potential scamming

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zbaker202 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

You also 'risk' having your account limited as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zbaker202 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. You would also not be able to open a dispute apart from one citing an unauthorised transaction but that would be automatically closed as you did authorise the initial payment.

You also 'risk' having your account limited as using that option for purchasing goods is against Paypal rules.

If you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you but unfortunately they may decline as well as it was a gift payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

zbaker202
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, I mentioned the friends and family thing in my post (doesn't mean it's not frustrating). 

That response does not account for the feature request, if you know a better place to post that, or can put that through to the correct channel by all means let me know, or just do so. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@zbaker202 

Why would they need to do that though?

If it was a close mate or a family member then you would know where they lived anyway wouldn't you.

If you were using it to purchase goods or services then you were breaking paypal rules and shouldn't be doing so.

So the option is not needed, just don't use it for paying for goods / services.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.