False TOS Claim Exploits on Paypal

dtla_james
Contributor
Contributor

Hello PayPal,

I have a family member that has fallen victim to an exploitation of the acceptable use reporting system.

He works as a live streamer and an online hate group has been brigading against him posting threats and doing whatever they can to ban his accounts, "dox" him, etc.

They were successful in having his PayPal banned by submitting a Photoshopped screenshot of a text exchange that suggested that donations received during a live stream for a text to speech message were actually used for online betting on NFL games.

The claim couldn't be farther from the truth. The stream VOD is still available as proof. The most ironic part is the streamer is farthest thing from a sports fan one can imagine, the man probably couldn't name three NFL teams. It wasn't even football season.

These details were only found out after a claim was made via the Better Business Bureau but after those details were revealed the PayPal representative refused to continue investigating the issue.

First of all, my question what are other avenues do we have at this point to have our case heard?

Secondly, I've been writing a story to pass on to publications about the potential for this exploit to cause issues for merchants on a grand scale.

If it is so easy as sending in a photoshopped image in order to compromise someone's livelihood and income (many merchants rely on PayPal and PayPal alone to run their businesses) then there is a massive potential for large scale abuse and more alarmingly perhaps for PayPal, a PR nightmare.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

alternative123
Contributor
Contributor

Everyone needs to tweet PayPal @PayPal and @AskPaypal, tag their CEO @DAN_Schulman, tag the FTC: @FTC and BBB: @bbb include the hashtag #PYPL #dishonest #fraud, a

In that tweet people need to call out that PayPal is dishonest and helps fraudulent people

They are more protective of their social media presence and image than their customers. PayPal is a bad company.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.