Fallen victim to a Chinese scam and Paypal is not helping

smsteindler
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I fell victim to one of the Chinese scams where they advertise one thing, wait a significant amount of time (so you cannot dispute the charge with your bank) and then intentionally ship a cheap incorrect product. They offer a 40% refund (which they never sent) or tell you to ship the cheap product back which will cost more than what you bought. I have tried Paypal support and explained the scam but they dont seem able to understand or care. I am beyond frustrated and am getting nowhere with Paypal. Any ideas?

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

dilly1985
Contributor
Contributor

EXACT same scenario here...
In my case, the item was shipped from within australia. But the return address they give in the dispute is in chinese and in china.. which is ridiculous. Paypal closed the ticket without even reading what i had typed or looking at the photos/screenshots provided! 

Login to Me Too

smsteindler
Contributor
Contributor

Paypal sucks. I am upset that their "seller insurance" doesn't mean a damn thing.

Login to Me Too

Happy_Orange
Contributor
Contributor
Me too, I'm here looking for the same advice. And I'm struggling to navigate my way around paypal so unable to work out what to do. Help.
Login to Me Too

smsteindler
Contributor
Contributor

Good luck. Seriously, Paypal sucks. Their customer service is overseas and the agents don't understand anything other than working from a checklist. I am trying my bank again to see what happens.

Login to Me Too

Happy_Orange
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for the good luck, I think it'll be needed. I found another post regarding the same company with a lot of people this has happened to. I have sent a strongly worded response to paypal ( who have still yet to respond to my case after 36 hours) following some other advice from their posts. This is fraud and for PayPal to still be working with them shows that they have no integrity. I am in the UK and have spoken to my bank (Barclays) and they're willing to investigate this for me. I will await my response from PayPal, and if they fail to act appropriately I will use my bank to help resolve this and I will also be shouting loud and proud all across their social media platforms. This is now no longer regarding the money (which is only about £23), this is about Paypal claiming to have protection for buyers when evidently they don't. I will certainly not be using this payment method any longer.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think you hit the nail on the head, so to speak, this is not about the money. It's about the indignity of being taken for a chump and a large reputable (maybe not so much anymore) comapny like PayPal is knowingly letting the scams proceed.

Here in the US we can file complaints to the FBI at the web site www.ic3.gov hopefully you have simialr site in the UK to file. It's no rocket scinece how these scammers operate but PayPal doesn't seem to catch on, or don't care. In my mine PayPal's reputation will be dragged thru the mud.

I also see a potetntial class action lawsuit. It's a matter of time, people are fed up.

Login to Me Too

smsteindler
Contributor
Contributor

So the saga drags on and on and on. With no phone number to call I wonder how many PayPal users are getting **bleep** by them. I have taken the first step and contacted a lawyer regarding the filing of a class action lawsuit against Paypal. As one user indicated, it is not about the money at this point, it is about the cavalier and completely dismissive way that Paypal is treating it's customers.

'

If you are interested in taking part in this Class Action, I will be providing a link to a shared Google Doc. Add your name and it shall be sent over to the attorney for the initial filing. I am sure that when these **bleep** get hit with a multi million dollar lawsuit over something that they could have prevented it may just change the way Paypal has chosen to do business.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I will be looking for that link and I'm sure many others are too. Please make sure to publicize it well.

Login to Me Too

bodna

Hi, has this class action been filed? I want in! I'm currently waiting on hold for claims dept to pick up. That's after I was assured by the foreigner from customer service that I just spoke with, who promised to transfer my call "directly", with "no hold"! Been holding 10 minutes now. Please provide any information for this lawsuit as I would like to make them feel it as well. They're evasive and effectively assisting these fraudulent sellers by closing our disputed cases prematurely and without any notice! And they do it after they instruct us to return the items at our own expense. How much more frustrated can they make us? Please advise on the lawsuit as I want to stick this where the sun doesn't shine on them. Thank you! -DL

Update: I called PP a[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]and was transferred to claims as mentioned above. I waited on hold for more than 30 minutes but finally got a concerned assistant who was able to help me change the status on the case to resolved in MY favor. She was very nice and assured me that my refund is being processed now. She even spoke perfect English and sounded American! If my refund isn't processed for some reason I will update this message again. I hope this helps others who are feeling as frustrated as I was... Best wishes to all who have been put through the ringer like this.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.