Fake Tracking numbers

SunShinex5
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, I'm blown away by all the comments on this community page. I've never had any issues with PayPal until recently, and everyone is right, you cannot talk to a live person, this is stupid. I had to file a claim which is still under review, and now I have another issue with the same problem, FAKE tracking numbers!! I have not filed a claim on the 2nd one yet because I was able to provide PayPal with a fake (stolen) phone number & the fact that the tracking # shows delivered 2 days before I placed an order, thinking they would investigate without me giving the seller heads up in the resolution center that we were onto them. But after reading everyone's stories & comments I'm starting to feel they (PAYPAL) will not help me or resolve these issues. This is ridiculous, where's the protection buying that paypal claims you have with them? If scammers can send fake tracking #'s showing your package was delivered & paypal goes with that and closes your case then what hope is there for our protection? 

Login to Me Too
72 REPLIES 72

UxbridgeAlan
Contributor
Contributor
Fedex is equally complicit. They sent me a tracking number through Paypal but refused to tell me where the item was delivered, only verbally confirming it was not to my name or address.
Login to Me Too

Michaelduke
New Community Member
Same here. Exactly what happen to me. I thought PayPal is safe and best in banking fraud. Never I would use PayPal again.tney didn’t even investigate and just close my dispute. Disgusting.!!
Login to Me Too

B53
Same thing Tracking number was real but when I called ups they told me the tracking number was not associated with my name or address I advised PayPal of this They did not investigate, closed the dispute and now I'm **bleep** out of the money I paid It'd very easy to check this with ups but PayPal is not doing it NEVER trust PayPal they won't be behind the customer
Login to Me Too

Jo929
Contributor
Contributor
I agree with you fake tracking numbers they told me to dispute my final decision was to go to the post office and have them give me a letter with USPS well I don’t know about your post office but mine don’t write letters they bring it up on there screen and show you the screen I never got a conformation letter had to ask for it then had to ask for tracking number now after going back and forth with Diebel company telling me customs returned it but somehow it managed to be delivered to my front porch after being returned by customs still no package and pay pal helped rip me off
Login to Me Too

Jo929
Contributor
Contributor
Same company Same issue except the tracking showed delivery in March I didn’t order till end of April . And PayPal still gave it to them
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jo929 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

artdirdave
Contributor
Contributor
They make it so hard to get anything done and speak to a real person it frustrates most people out of continuing . Yet these companies are making billions! A company with so much money should make it safe for buyers and legitimate sellers alike! It should be their responsibility to find this fraud and find out how it is done and stop it! Not poor buyers take hours out of their day tracking a human down and filing complaints that are auto shutdown with out a clear simple path to re open and get resolve.
Login to Me Too

Roveness
Contributor
Contributor
I brought an item from an reputable website. Seller put an bogus UPS tracking number. Paypal representative advised me to put an dispute in. An day later the seller gave an real USPS tracking number and sent the item
Login to Me Too

UxbridgeAlan
Contributor
Contributor
We must all report these Paypal-enabled scams to out state attorneys general. UOS is involved, too, as they send out tracking information that confirms shipment to a completly different address and tgen refuse to give out any information.
Login to Me Too

UxbridgeAlan
Contributor
Contributor
We must all report these Paypal-enabled scams to out state attorneys general. FEDEX is complicit, too, as they send out tracking information that confirms shipment to a completly different address and then refuse to give out any information, like the address they actually "delivered" to.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.