Fake Tracking numbers

Snzm
Contributor
Contributor
I didn't receive 2 of my orders and reported the case on paypal. Both companies gave fake tracking numbers. One, I even went to USPS and told me that it was to different address. I reported that to Paypal and they ignored me and closed the case. I am planning to open a lawsuit against Paypal if they ignore me again. If you have the same issue as mine, please reply below so we can all show the cases to the court.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Snzm 

Item not received disputes are automated, seller provides tracking then seller wins.

So if you need paypals help you have to do some legwork........

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Snzm 

Item not received disputes are automated, seller provides tracking then seller wins.

So if you need paypals help you have to do some legwork........

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

akd95
New Community Member

The same thing happened to my friend. She wanted to talk to an actual person BUT i can not find an phone number for her to call PayPal. Does anyone have that phone number. Thanks

Login to Me Too

Ellenwood88
Contributor
Contributor

So what do you do if you don't have any info other than the seller's email on the Paypal transaction where the money was taken? It's obvious Paypal is siding with criminals and is inadequate in providing security. The website ghosted after transaction took place...Never received email showing order confirmation as I usually get from seller; just a notice from Paypal that I was charged. So I have no information from seller except a probable phony email address specifically for fraudulent purposes. They could track this seller down to provide info that I don't have. I've filed a claim with the USPS to track the origins of who supposedly shipped package. The USPS claim has been upgraded to the Postmaster General as the criminal is using the USPS to further their crime.

Login to Me Too

Snzm
Contributor
Contributor
Write a complain in Better Business Bureau. I believe paypal is responsible. If I trust paypal, to give my bank account, they should have stronger security system when working with online companies. I complained to Better Business Bureau and paypal refunded just one of two fake payments. The funny part was that in the email, they mentioned because of paypal’s good gesture!
Login to Me Too

Snzm
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your advice. Most companies that send fake tracking number are based outside US. When I trust paypal to choose as credit card payment option means that paypal has stronger security system to research which companies are using their system. Just by giving a fake tracking number and they win shouldn’t be solution. I will follow the steps you mentioned but meanwhile it is my responsibility to alert everyone of your policy till it is fixed. It seems like many spam websites know this leak and are using it.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Snzm 

Paypal would not be able to check every individual seller / merchant / company in over 200 countries worldwide that adds paypal to their website to accept payments.
So they give you 'some' buyer protection but the onus is on you to risk assess your transactions.

Paypal will 'safely' look after your financial sources and 'safely' send the money to your chosen seller, who you send it to however is your responsibility to check out.

They do stop bad companies from using Paypal when enough claims start rolling in.
However as they are in China (mostly) then its easy for them to just start over with a new name, so stopping them does not really do anything.

The BEST thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Ellenwood88
Contributor
Contributor
Someone responded to my post regarding ways to prevent fraud... I checked the website to see where I'm ordering from where the business is located and 99% of time it shows a US location which tells me the Chinese use an individual or an intermediary to sell their products. Unfortunately; you don't always know that you don’t you're dealing with the Chinese until the money flies out of your account. It would be great if PayPal were to pause payments going out of any country to a different country or continent so if a customer sees that it's leaving their country; they have opportunity to cancel the transaction b4 it's too late. The post office has a service that was unaware of that requires sending me photos of my mail and packages I usually ask for tracking info, but in the case of the fake tracking number; the tracking information wasn't received until after I disputed the charge. This was the first time I've encountered this. Given that it was during the holidays; it's not surprising i got defrauded. The USPS being overwhelmed with the holiday rush with the pandemic. Filed complaints with BBB and USPS. If I can provide information that it's fake; I'll be able to press charges. PayPal is useless in providing Customer Protection. They did me a huge favor is dumping me, but it's not over yet. I'll wait out the investigation by the USPS
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.