Facebook messenger scam

Andywheeldon100
Contributor
Contributor

A friend asked me on Facebook to receive a PayPal payment for them and bank transfer them the money, as they couldn't get their account to work. Once I had transferred the money the payment was marked as unorthorised and the money putting my PayPal account into negative funds. The situation is open for dispute but I don't know how to report that this is fraud

Login to Me Too
29 REPLIES 29

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Andywheeldon100 

I don't think this person is a friend. The money you received was probably from a stolen PayPal account and/or stolen linked payment method so the account holder filed an unauthorized payment on it and you are held responsible. If you still have the withdrawn money in your bank account from the PayPal payment and not given it to your "friend"...yet, you have to add funds back to zero out your balance.

Contact customer service for assistance:

Click HELP at the top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Andywheeldon100
Contributor
Contributor
My friends Facebook had been hacked, I only transferred money out of my PayPal account once I had received it so I don't see why I am held responsible when the hackers have managed to get their money back? I called PayPal but it is all automated responses which didn't help my situation...
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Cristina

Hi Andywheeldon100,

I am sorry about your issue. If you are unable to call us, you may reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter so that we can look into this further.

I hope this helps.

Cristina

Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

good luck getting this sorted, I have had this exact and I mean exact problem, it has been ongoing for 3 months now, it was never my friend asking it was a fraudster that hacked my friends account, they told me theirs was limited and could I receive payment and transfer it to them I did and they have been reversed as unauthorised but one went through and now PayPal are holding me responsible for it when I was scammed. I have report it all to the financial ombudsman and action fraud, I'm just waiting on their response. 

Login to Me Too

stephw56
Contributor
Contributor

I had having the same problem,
i have reported it to:
my Bank-they say they cant get the funds back,
Paypal-they just want their money back and keep ringing me from collections,
Action Fraud-just says ''pending'' 
i feel so stupid,the fraudster was so convincing.
Also everyone you ring gives you a little pep talk,believe me,if they can fool me they must be good
my husband is disabled,i am the only earner and things are tight,also Paypal expect all of the money back,they wont accept a payment plan,it's a nightmare

i really regret that evening,i was half asleep after a long hard day at work,but they wouldn't catch me again

#fraud #facebook messenger

Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

This isnt your fault, the scams are becoming more and more convincing, my bank couldnt get the funds back either, but if your from the uk there is a new law coming in about this stuff, Search Authorized Push Payments. 

Login to Me Too

stephw56
Contributor
Contributor

Now I have had to take out a bank loan to pay it off,my own stupidity,just hope other people learn by it
Very clever people,they even spoke to me on my cousins timeline,it is scary how they can take over your facebook page

Login to Me Too

Zack1414
Contributor
Contributor

it sounds like you're in the same situation as me, you shouldn't have taken that loan out. its not your fault as I said above, you should have argued it which I am still doing, taken it to action fraud and the ombudsman because now you're in debt because of these devious people 

Login to Me Too

stephw56
Contributor
Contributor

I have reported it to action fraud,but it just says ''pending'',paypal collections have hounded me for their money back,they expect me to ring them every few days to update them,i'm still hoping it will get sorted,just takes time

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.