Facebook marketplace scams

Eric9jax
Contributor
Contributor
Deals too good to be true. I just made a purchase on Facebook marketplace and now I believe that it was a scam. It was too good to be true so it probably was. And it went to China. How do I cancel it? I made the purchase using PayPal.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eric9jax wrote:
That's a bummer. What will happen? Does that mean that the merchant can take the money and disappear? If so, does PayPal reimburse my credit card or does the credit card company take the hit? Or do I?

No, that does not. When the merchant captures payment, then you can dispute it at PayPal as item not received or significantly not as described if received. If you happen to lose PayPal dispute, you can dispute through the credit card. If transaction remains as an temporary authorization, it can expire in no longer than 30 days if funds are not captured or claimed by the merchant. If merchant responds and cancels, the authorization may still remain until expires.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eric9jax 

You probably can't cancel with these kinds of ads/merchants and have to let the transaction go to it's foregone conclusion as they'll give you some line that they already shipped, won't/can't cancel or don't respond at all but to cancel generally, the merchant is who you'd contact. 

If payment is pending authorization, PayPal can't cancel that anyway, only the merchant can. Once payment is complete, then you can dispute.

Login to Me Too

Eric9jax
Contributor
Contributor
That's a bummer. What will happen? Does that mean that the merchant can take the money and disappear? If so, does PayPal reimburse my credit card or does the credit card company take the hit? Or do I?
Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Eric9jax wrote:

No, that does not. When the merchant captures payment, then you can dispute it at PayPal as item not received or significantly not as described if received. If you happen to lose PayPal dispute, you can dispute through the credit card. If transaction remains as an temporary authorization, it can expire in no longer than 30 days if funds are not captured or claimed by the merchant. If merchant responds and cancels, the authorization may still remain until expires.

Login to Me Too

ahc23
This is happening to me right now!!! I bought a washer/dryer then a refrigerator from this guy (supposed appliance store). I paid him, we arranged delivery. He played it all the way out until delivery was late, then blocked me, erased his site and disappeared!!! I put dispute to PayPal under the wrong label, so it was denied - even after I called and explained up the chain to 3-4 different people. I am SO frustrated and just want to talk to a human who will LISTEN and do something about this!!! I’ve spent so much money and have NOTHING!!!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.