Facebook is full of scammers, Paypal will usually side with the seller in disputes! Buyer beware.

Poorme2020
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a FB advert for a laser engraver selling at 1/3 the price. Stupid me I fell for it. However I found out its a scam and cancelled the order on the SAME day within hours.  I also started a dispute on the same day on PP.  The seller's T&C said I can get a full refund if I cancel before its shipped.  I did all that but the seller ignored me and shipped "something" 10 days later.  I escalated to PP but the case was in review for a month! Then PP sent me a message saying I can get my refund if I mail back the item with tracking.  Obviously someone at PP did not read the dispute properly as I stated that I cancelled within the stipulated timeline but was ignored by the seller.  If the seller proceed to ignore their own T&Cs and send the item, why am I obligated to spend money to send it back to China with tracking?  PP obviously prefer to side with the seller since thats how they make money.  So better off, speak with your wallet, don't buy from FB advertisers and don't fully believe that PP will protect you 100%. 

A finally received the parcel, and guess what its some random thing they send to prove to PP that they have fulfilled the order and now the buyer is obligated to send back or just write off the purchase. I ordered a laser engraver and they sent me a ring with glass stones faked as a gold diamond ring with an overrated price tag.  Good luck trying to contact PP to explain, no telephone, messages takes forever to get a response, dispute resolution is very rigid with no means to explain. Its almost if PP just wants you to let them earn the commission from the seller and go away.

The anatomy of the scam is this:

1. They look for a product that is attractive and advertise a product on FB at a much lower price.  How to tell? Most of the time they will rip off the original Indiegogo or Kickstarter or real website.  This was how I found out mine was a scam. I saw different FB post for the same product with the same video and photos and text they ripped off the original owner. So before you think thats a good deal, do a search first online.

2. Their website has all the usual promises of full refunds, etc that is also ripped off other legitimate online shops. Don;t bother, they don't honor it. They change their website link and name with each new scam on a regular basis.

3. Once you ordered you realised that the PP payment goes to an unrelated shop/person that I expect will extract all the money and disappear, only to start a new PP account for their next scam.

4. They ignore all emails to cancel and refund. They drag this out by 10 days before shipping to reduce the time you have to respond or wear you out. They send you a shipping confirmation with a tracking number via the slowest and cheapest postal service. It took a month for my parcel to arrive.

5. They ship something random that is of little to no value to show PP that they have shipped the product to you.  This fools PP into delaying the resolution and allows them to demand that you ship it back to them for a full refund.

6. PP requires you to ship it back with tracking, not a cheap thing. That takes another month, then the seller takes their time to confirm acceptance of the parcel. The seller can accuse you of sending back a wrong item (even if you are sending back the rubbish they sent you), and refuse to refund you.  The circus drags on.  PP sides with the seller or the seller hopes that you give up and write it off.

So buyer beware.  PP is not reliable protection and better not to trust these FB adverts anyway.  If its too good to be true, its usually not true. 

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Fazal321
Contributor
Contributor
OMG, I have the same issue with this metal engraver. I ordered this product from a FB for $89.99cdn. They charged my account $89.99US. No tracking info; I emailed the seller they said I would have a tracking number in 10days; it takes time, which I think is BS. Finally got the tracking info. I set up an alert to keep me updated. It took over a mth to reach Canada, and then it goes dead. Canada post has not received my item all it shows it arrived in Canada. I tried contacting the seller on the same email, but no response. When you click on my order from the email they sent me, it takes me to the Shopify website to complete this account's setup. It's been four months, nothing yet. The last update from track17.com is September 5 arrived in Canada. Something has to be done to protect us consumers. Mad as hell.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fazal321 

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item OR service
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. Paypal will review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2. Click on the transaction and use the resolve a problem option at the bottom of that details page.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If you lose because seller provides a fake tracking number (likely) then post back for more advice.
If the item arrives and its tat the make sure you CHANGE the dispute quickly before it closes to 'not as described'.
If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Also make sure you have activated the below link in case you have to return it.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dblakem1
New Community Member

I was scammed with a laser engraver. Paypal denied my claim, even though I am ex-Police... Here’s how it went down....

paid via paypal, tracking number given. Small envelope arrives with a card inside apologising for the delay. Weeks go on....when I contacted the seller, they said the tracking number proved the item was delivered... paypal sided with the seller.

<removed>

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dblakem1 

You must have opened a dispute for non receipt of item....you would then lose if the seller had a tracking number that proved delivery of an item to you.

Why did you not open a dispute for ''item received but not as described'' ie wrong item??? Then you would probably have been told to return it for a full refund, and got help with those costs via this link if activated.

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

68mustangjim
New Community Member

Same here order they sent s ring even my Granddaughter pass on it so cheap looking.

Always file any dispute you received item bring to there attentions to shipping weight a few OZ vs a few pounds should be a no brainier to the fact the correct item was not ship. Always take pictures (meta data and email prove date.

Same issue seller says we can refund 40% charge amount if you return item sent wrong I sad happy to return send me label with postage paid. I explain how it works I did not order a ring that's on you. So to make my point I sent this paragraph from FTC:

"What do you do when you receive merchandise that you didn’t order? According to the Federal Trade Commission, you don’t have to pay for it. Federal laws prohibit mailing unordered merchandise to consumers and then demanding payment...If you receive merchandise that you didn’t order, you have a legal right to keep it as a free gift. Although you have no legal obligation to notify the seller, you may write the seller and offer to return the merchandise, provided the seller pays for shipping and handling. "

They come back with 60% at this point I chew they out I told them 100% not. 

Then went to Citi bank to file a dispute there is no choice to there form they ask if I return the item answer no the closed down the dispute. Next I called I explain again what happen she ask if I return the wrong item offer to sent the FTC info. I made a point to let her know how the scam works the 40/60/80% offer I ask if you had order something from Kohls for yourself would you accept  a low offer on your refund. They gave me a full credit mean while seller offer to credit that was 2 weeks again just more lies.

Shame on Pay pal for not backing us if you have no buyers then there is no seller business.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.