Facebook Marketplace "sponsored" scam

judyLRVB
New Community Member

I was looking for something on Marketplace when an ad for something else was showing up.  I was intrigued I never such a unique item, I was snagged, the story was store closing they lost the lease everything had to go dirt cheap.  Perfect story so I bit.  I used PayPal to protect myself in case it was a scam, well it was a scam.  As soon as I saw the email address on the PayPal receipt I knew, it was 20 letters longer than the customer service email from the web site.  I did everything in my power emailed the two provided in the web site, went to the facebook and twitter links shown on the web site, not real, I copied everything I had, copied of my direct emails, the PayPal receipt with the different email, even my threatening email to them I am going to have PayPal stop the charge, no respond from them.  However my response from PayPal was too bad they denied my stop payment, reverse the charge.  I thought they had my back, it was safe to use.  Now I see different.  I am extremely disappointed, I'm been a PayPal customer for years, but I no longer see a reason to stay.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@judyLRVB 

Paypal can't stop a payment you have authorised and its completed through to the seller.

Paypal cover you for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described but they can't cover you for 'changed my mind about buying', that should be done before you pay and have researched your seller.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.