Extremely frustrated with (apparently useless) "Buyer Protection" and the dispute process

gerobazant
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item online that turned out to have been shipped from China (I know, stupid me!). Low and behold, the item wasn't even close to what was advertised--instead of a product being worth ~$88 it was a small piece of plastic crap. When I contacted the seller they said they would refund if I sent the item back to China. So I did some research and saw numerous online claims by people who sent their same crappy items back but never received the refund. I'm not willing to pay $15 to send some plastic junk to China without being assured that I will get my money back.

Enter PayPal Resolution. Long story short: they were of NO help. Essentially, they sided with the seller and that's that. What in the world kind of "Buyer Protection" is that if there's no recourse from being scammed out of money??

Anybody know of any way to contest this? There's not even a way to respond on that case. ARGH.

Listen, PayPal - this was the LAST time I will have used your services to check out unless it's a well-known vendor... and even then I will default to a different form of payment if I have any chance to do so.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

cp2020cp
Contributor
Contributor

Completely understand, I had  two same issues, but PP "Buyer Protection" doesn't exist, PP protecting the crap seller from China for an obvious reason-more money!! I think PP already belongs to China owners, so soon will be more of us.

I sent back crap item from China and since June no refund issued and today they denied my claim. Lost in total about £75 so time to go.  Good luck!! 

Login to Me Too

gerobazant
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, that's encouraging... 😞 and sorry that happened to you!!

I'm in the process of submitting a BBB complaint. Not holding my breath that it'll do any good but, hey, at this point I'll yell as loud as I can.

Login to Me Too

Caldra
Contributor
Contributor

I filed a complaint against a seller and that case was denied based on the fact that PayPal apparently received shipment tracking from the merchant confirming the merchandise was delivered.
I have not received this shipment regardless of what the "proof" PayPal received from the seller.
I would like to see the "proof" so I can follow up with the ground delivery company that was supposed to have delivered my merchandise since PayPal is apparently washing their hands of this situation.
I would assume under the Buyer Abuse policy, PayPal would want to track sellers like this when they are fraudulently using their service and skirting the cases because they are sending PayPal bogus tracking information that PayPal will not follow up on and will just believe the seller.
I received a notification from the seller, the shipper CHINA POST, doesn't do ground transportation in the U.S.A. so when they say they "shipped" the merchandise, I am not sure where they "shipped" it and they will not return any of the eight emails I have sent them.
A U.S.A. based ground transportation companies should have records of the delivery, the CHINA POST "proof" is not an official record PayPal company should assume is correct.
The merchandise weighs approximately 200 pounds so that might even be easier to track down since it would require special handling. I can provide a picture of the merchandise and the receipt of what I purchased and everyone will see the model numbers match up.
If PayPal is not going to help protect their customers from Buyer Abuse, they can at least provide me with the so called "proof" and I will do it myself since the seller knows PayPal will not do anything.

Does the community have any advice?

Login to Me Too

gerobazant
Contributor
Contributor

@Caldra  - I filed a complaint with the BBB since PP, in my case, TRULY did not honor their own promise to "protect" this purchase. And wouldn't you know it... a week later I received a "customer appreciation" credit for the exact amount. Interesting, right? I hope something will change within their system to make it more transparent how they deal with us, customers. It stinks to feel like a little insignificant wheel in this huge machine!

Good luck!

Login to Me Too

Caldra
Contributor
Contributor

@gerobazant that is good advice.  I have been contemplating just that but felt it was a little extreme but my blood is boiling over this issue because of the trust I placed in the PP policy.  I think you are giving me the little extra push I needed.

I want to see a company that cares more for their customers then doing what is easy, protect their customers from fraud or at least bend over backwards to make sure there isn't fraud, and prevent the risk of abuse that the online sellers and buyers can use to take people's hard earned money.

Login to Me Too

gerobazant
Contributor
Contributor

@Caldra, I couldn't agree with you more... "the trust I placed in the PP policy."

I hope this will work out OK for you!

G

Login to Me Too

questions3
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal protection is a joke.   

Login to Me Too

questions3
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is making money and anyone that thinks that they care about you the buyer are mistaken.  About 99% of their website is automated.  No real person sees or cares about your issues.  These companies will continue to rip us off using PayPal because they know they are safe.  Orders are usually shipped from California and IF you get to send your item back for a refund you have to ship it to China which most times will cost more than the cost of your purchase and then more often than not they will deny your refund for some untold reason. So you have no product, you have been ripped off for the cost of some piece of crap AND been ripped off for the shipping amount.   Ya, I'm done with PayPal and eBay.   Amazon is much safer to work with for my hard earned money.

Login to Me Too

Pati6x
Contributor
Contributor
I have complained, followed the instructions from PayPal and with all these people having the same issue of being scammed,,why are we fighting so hard for our money back? I received mine too but PayPal has me down as not receiving it. I told them I received it and it was fraud,, described what was sent to me, said I would send photo,s. It was a scam pure and simply. These needs to be honored because these pumpkins were nothing at all as described what they were suppose to be. Scam Scam Scam. Where's are protection for this?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.