Exchange rate scam

JamesD52
Contributor
Contributor

In November I purchased a computer online from Newegg.com and had it shipped to St Augustine, Florida for her. The total bill was $759.99. I could have paid for it directly with my US dollar credit card to Newegg, but for convenience (not having to enter all my personal information again) I used Paypal and the same US Dollar credit card which is registered to them. I was reconciling my credit card statement today and the charge on my card was $816.82!!! That is an overcharge of $56.83!  It appears that since I live in Canada they took the US dollar amount and converted it to Canadian dollars (and charged a hefty exchange rate). Then they immediately changed it back to US dollars (and charged a hefty exchange rate). There was NO NEED to exchange the currency at all...it was a US purchase on a US dollar credit card. $56.83 for a quick, unnecessary, computer generated double currency exchange. This is absolute theft and greed. I have made several other purchases with Paypal since that time and I see they are doing the same thing. Fortunately these have been small purchases.. This has never happened in the past. This is obviously a new "policy" aimed at gouging the consumer in a very greedy way. I have had no response from Paypal about this.

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.