Excessive deductions via PayPal using 279234

wifikid
New Community Member

Excessive deductions via PayPal using 279234
1st July 2019
My wife passed away three months ago (March 2019) and had been ill for the past 18 months from Chemo.
I am now reconciling many of my wife's Bank Accounts and I noticed on one particular account there were deductions every 2-3 weeks via PayPal Australia under a common number of 279234. My wife was too ill to make these deductions and I am the receiver of all parcels or posts, which I hadn't received for these deductions.
It's obvious that the PayPal account had been hacked.
There were a number of large purchases in November 2018, which drew my attention to her account. All the other deductions were between $20-30.
Has anyone had this problem and how did they confront PayPal of such?

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@wifikid 

Check if you she had subscriptions set up...
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ezzawinkle
New Community Member
I just noticed a ‘direct debit’ come up with this number also. I then searched our account and there are a fair few. It could be baby brain but did you work out what it was?
Login to Me Too

Theocal
Contributor
Contributor
Any news on what it is ?? I'm having the same problem at the moment... except they just withdrew $488.34 today...
Login to Me Too

Miss_Mod

My "Direct Debit 279234 PAYPAL AUSTRALIA" was a monthly Google Play subscription.

Login to Me Too

amz999
I have just noticed that I have been scammed since 2015 with Direct Debit 279234 PayPal Australia, I came to Australia in 2014, working hard for the money and someone has scammed me. I have been helping lot of people and communities with donations but never thought this could happen. I haven't been able to save much or buy a house yet and now I know why.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.