Escalating Disputes

nubchai
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  I bought some face masks from an Etsy seller. The amount was $17.  He then closed his Etsy shop.  The telephone number he listed rings once and goes to a fast busy signal.  We called many many times.  So I opened a dispute with Paypal. On Thursday I can escalate the dispute to Paypal.   I went to the dispute in the Resolution Center just to see where the "escalate" option was.   At the top of the page it says "In an effort to provide some relief to merchants impacted by COVID-19, PayPal is waiving chargeback fees for merchants if their customer files a dispute with their credit card issuer from March 26, 2020 through at least April 30, 2020."   

Does that mean we can't escalate disputes?  I understand we're living in a difficult time. But this policy seems to encourage fraud.  Any houghts on whether buyers are now unable to escalate until after April and maybe longer?  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

J_kylerinrico
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @nubchai. Thank you for trusting PayPal process for your concern. You can still escalate your claim to dispute. The message that you saw is for merchants who would be getting dispute through the buyer's bank account instead of doing it through PayPal. Hope this will give you peace of mind. Stay safe.
Login to Me Too

nubchai
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much j_kylerinico.  I'm trying to work it out with the seller. But just in case it's good to know what my options are.

Login to Me Too

bellah_24
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee
Hi @nubchai I hope you're doing fine and safe during this pandemic. The previous post clarified that you can still escalate the dispute to a clam if you can't resolve the issue with the seller. That message will be applicable or benefit the seller just in case you file a dispute with your financial institution. If you wish to escalate it please click the link below. https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-do-i-escalate-a-dispute-to-a-claim-faq822 Note: DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND. ****If you see a helpful post, please accept it as a solution or give the author kudos. 🙂 Thanks!****
Login to Me Too

SWarshaw
New Community Member
Hello, I received a notice that I have to escalate my dispute, but there are no links or buttons to do so on the screen. When I try to click on it, it states that customer service will reach out in the next 20 days. There is no phone number. Can you please tell me how to do this?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.