Email charging 348.99 for Micro Computer Security - Not Ordered - Scam?

LoralynEast
New Community Member

I received an email from  "payment" confirmation "48" and it's a gmail account - with a note saying they would be charging my credit card 348.99 for Micro Computer Security, which I didn't order.  I don't see that activity on my Paypal account.  It looks like a legitimate Paypal email.  I don't see anything identifying the email as a scam.  The tel # they have listed doesn't match any of the Paypal #s.  Anyone can confirm this is a scam.  I'm also waiting for a response from Paypal Chat session.  Thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LoralynEast 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
16 REPLIES 16
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@LoralynEast 

If its a spoof, NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

LoralynEast
New Community Member

Thank you, that was helpful.

There was no greeting with my name,  just a "Hello".

there were no links, but there was a telephone #, so assuming they wanted me to call and then they would probably scare me into buying security.

I forwarded the email to Paypal's spoof email address and deleted the mail.

Thanks again!  First time I ever saw something like that - it was well crafted.

Login to Me Too

anotherwise
Contributor
Contributor

- Do I just delete the message?

Login to Me Too

hmustokoff
Contributor
Contributor

Was charged $349.99.Also said to cancel to call a strange number.

Login to Me Too

jmoore405

So, was the charge deleted from your PayPal account?

Judy Moore 

Login to Me Too

Bweath77

I've gotten this email several times with different dollar amounts and different companies. They usually send it to several emails, mostly comcast.net and the sending email is never PayPal. I just forward it to <removed>

Login to Me Too

Angry2020
New Community Member
I just received the same email but they’re telling me now it’s $399.99!!! This problem is NOT fixed through PayPal!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Angry2020 

If its a spoof as per my post above then it has nothing to do with paypal does it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Sawinsm
Contributor
Contributor
I received same but charging 499.99 now. All I can say is good luck with that.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.