Email address in senders/receivers list changed to unknown email

Satmanjim
New Community Member
I wanted to transfer $411 to my brother which I had done in the past. I used his icon on senders list and made the transfer supposedly to him. Unknown to me is his email contact was changed to an unknown address which is not visible to a sender until AFTER A TRANSFER IS MADE. When my brother complained that he hadn't received the money I checked the transaction. His email had mysteriously been changed to an unknown email. I promptly filed a complaint with PayPal but they had no category that matched exactly. I chose Unauthorized Activity and after going back and forth with PayPal and talking to an Indian call center who had no clue what I was saying I was offered a $100 voucher. Not seeing that as fair considering any normal person who makes a transfer to a family member has no way of verifying if the email you assume is associated with the person in you icon is correct UNTIL AFTER THE TRANSFER IS MADE. I pointed this out to them and they didn't seem to understand this scam. I got no help or understanding from any customer service rep and then they had the nerve to close out the case! Now I find it almost impossible to continue on with my claim which I feel is a new scam utilizing and weakness in their system. You would think they would have honored my request to talk with supervisor preferably from the US so that future scams like this can be prevented and maybe I can have a resolution to my case. Their treatment of my case has been totally short sighted. They were abrupt and non responsive to my requests. Totally different from my previous experience with disputes. They requested I contact the recipient which I attempted to do but the email bounced back as undeliverable. Everything points to a scam and PayPal refuses to admit a defective and backdoor method of stealing funds. If I had been able to verify the contact email prior to sending funds this entire situation would not exist. PayPal needs to change this loophole in their system as well as give me the courtesy of speaking to a supervisor as I requested several times.
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Satmanjim 

Personally if sending family/friends I always check with that family member or mate what their email address is before sending.

If they have changed it then of course i send the payment to the new address.

If you sent to an address that was not your family members or friends then sadly you may have sent it to a stranger.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.