Ebay account hacked

Jasondeg
Contributor
Contributor

I have been getting the run around from ebay and PayPal and am beyond frustrated. Here's the deal, someone hacked my ebay acct and made 2 purchases. I immediately tried to cancel them, contact both ebay and PayPal saying they were fraudulent but the money had already been taken out. Ebay immediately ruled they were fraudulent purchases and said it was up to PayPal now. 2 weeks later, PayPal says they were not unauthorized payments and would not issue a refund. I have spent the last 2 hours on hold with both PayPal and Ebay. PayPal says because it was my ebay account that was hacked, that ebay is responsible. Ebay says there is nothing they can do because the payment went through PayPal. So here I am, the protected consumer, being told by both companies to contact the other and I am **bleep**. Suggestions please????

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

tamir
New Community Member

This also happened to me and I am in the same situation. It has been a few days since the transaction was made and now PayPal just emailed me this morning saying that the transaction was not unauthorised and are certain my account is secure. I even rang eBay and spoke to them on mutliple occassions where they assured me the transaction would be cancelled and removed from my account, however, the transaction still went through!

Login to Me Too

Ssolo
New Community Member
Exact same thing is currently happening to me. And after second call to PayPal I did what I was told to do: I emailed everything to spoof@paypal.com. No reply. 😞
Login to Me Too

Jasondeg
Contributor
Contributor
They told me to email appeals at PayPal which did not help and no response. Then I called again and they filed an appeal. I just got an email saying appeal denied. Guy on the phone said they show the login coming from my phone and it is not unauthorized. I have no idea what to do next.
Login to Me Too

madmongoose
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I am wondering if you have been refunded yet? I am going through a similar thing.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Drew

Hello All, 

Thanks for reaching out here and inquiring about unauthorized transactions on your account. I have read your stories and can certainly understand why you'd be frustrated. 

@Jasondeg, when you said there were charges made on your eBay account, were these payments to eBay or were they made to other merchants? If they were payments to eBay it gets a little more tricky as when you have an agreement created with them, we do not see the logins and eBay has the option to charge you at any point and time. If they were purchases to merchants, we could dispute these directly but would review your account to determine if they were unauthorized. You always want to ask parties in your household to see if they made the payment as we do not cover family/friendly fraud either. 

For others, in the email response you received denying the claim, there will be an email that you can reach out to for more information. It sometimes is better calling as we will provide more information than we will through email. We can't go over a lot of information on how we review transactions as this will provide users with how to get around our system. 

Thanks, 

- Drew

Login to Me Too

Jasondeg
Contributor
Contributor
Ebay said it was PayPal problems. PayPal said it was Ebays problem. I made probably 15 phone calls and got no resolution. Beyond disappointed in both PayPal and eBay. And I blame PayPal more cause they are in charge of my money not eBay.
Login to Me Too

madmongoose
Contributor
Contributor

Wow, close to a year later and it still hasn't been resolved. Now I'm worried. I was hacked last week and something was bought for £150. After speaking to ebay, they tell me to speak to paypal. I speak to paypal, and so far all they have given me is a copy / paste response about how to resolve common ebay refunds etc.

Login to Me Too

Scruffy2
Contributor
Contributor

STILL having the exact same issue 1 year later. How is this not even being addressed? $150 charge to PayPal for what Ebay confirmed was a Login to my Account from China (I am from Canada). Ebay says its PayPal, Paypal has left me on hold for 3 HOURS twice. Are you kidding me? Transaction doesnt show up in the Resolution Centre as it was via Ebay, so noone at PayPal cares even after I provide the Receipt number provided to me by PayPal customer service

Advising everyone I know not to use PayPal because of this- I will be following up with my bank and Closing my PayPal account as soon as my bank reviews. Utterly disgusting business to steal money from its HACKED customers. **bleep** YOU PAYPAL

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.