EBay purchase bypassed PayPal and charged to CCard, refund problems.

marmite45
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a tap on eBay and clicked to pay by PP. After weeks tap arrives, was fitted, then developed an unfixable leak. In seeking a full refund or replacement from eBay, I learned the maker is in China. He delayed responding until eBay's 30-day cover expired. eBay then advises me to apply to PP as it falls within PP's 180-day cover.

This is when I find out that there is no record of the payment on my PP account statement ... however, there is one on my bank statement, saying "PayPal *Jiazhong"

Can't find anywhere on help pages to pursue this. I'm still stuck with a leaking tap.

Can I get a refund via PP? Or is this a matter for my credit card bank?

Thanks in anticipation

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marmite45

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.

However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

If that is not the case then contact customer services AND your card issuer to query the transactions.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......
1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR press '0' OR just say the word 'Agent' repeatedly.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kororo
Contributor
Contributor

sounds like you purchase the item using a guest payment 

And Sure PayPal can still help you on this kind of situation but you need to call the customer service hotline for them to open up the dispute for you 

Login to Me Too

marmite45
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Will do.

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@marmite45

If you bought something online with a debit or credit card and did NOT log into your paypal account then of course it won't show on your paypal account as you bought as a 'guest buyer'.

However your seller may have processed that payment using their Paypal 'card reader' and so Paypal would show on your bank or card statement.

If that is not the case then contact customer services AND your card issuer to query the transactions.

If you need to open a dispute for a 'guest buyer' transaction then you can.......
1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will open one for you OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

When you get through don't select any options just hang on till you get transfered to an agent OR press '0' OR just say the word 'Agent' repeatedly.
Freephone from a UK landline or UK mobile number.

OR

have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPalUK and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

marmite45
Contributor
Contributor

The transaction did show up on my bank statement (but not my PP statement) ... so looks like you are spot on. Will follow yr contact advice.

The purchase on eBay was quite misleading in a way, then, as by clicking on the 'pay via PayPal' I thought that was what I was doing.

Thanks kurnowlas.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.