Double Charged

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I bought two gift cards. The charge shows up twice though one -$ says not completed. Yet two deductions were made to my account. PayPal says the incomplete listing is correct but the money is gone. If the transaction didn’t go through, why is -$ listed on my account?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Dell14z 

If one of the transactions failed, look at the charge on your funding source...does it say it is a temporary charge or pending? Did you buy these cards from PayPal Digital Gift cards site? Did you only receive one gift card? If payment was not captured by PayPal or by the merchant, then the temporary authorization will remain at your funding source with funds held and should expire in no longer than 30 days and the funds will also be released.

This is normal authorization 2 capture payment processing method/procedure. Not the failure of course but the holding of funds under temporary authorization, even if the order processing failed. If the charge ends up being posted as complete at your funding source, then dispute either through PayPal or your financial institution.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

One gift card from an online retailer. The money came out of my PayPal balance.  The failed attempt is listed and -$ was deducted from my account. 

Resolution Center still errs. PayPal messages are answered but they insist that the charge only went through once despite what I see. 

Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I think I have it settled now. The failed attempt at payment showed as -$ which looks like a debit. On my account page it shows just one debit. 

No no one told me to look at the account page as failed transactions aren’t listed there. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.