Don't know what to do in this situation!!!

ali_2012
Contributor
Contributor

So, today i sold an item through eBay and i was just getting ready to ship the item. Just as i was about to go to the post office, i randomly check my e-mail and saw that i had received an e-mail from PayPal that notified me that there was an unauthorized transaction case opened for this transation. Then i login to my PayPal and notice that there was indeed an unauthorized transaction case already opened for this payment from the buyer. What should i do, i've never been in such a situation before?! The buyer did not send a single message or notification to me about this issue, the unauthorized transaction case came out of the blue.

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ali_2012 

An unauthorised transaction means that an account holders Paypal account was hacked and used without their consent by your ?buyer.
If Paypal check IP addresses etc and find in favour of the account holder then of course they are reimbursed.

You may have been reimbursed if you met all the criteria of seller protection BUT don't risk that now, keep the item and let paypal investigate the unauthorised dispute. If the funds are returned then luckily you still have the item.........Phew !!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ali_2012
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much for the quick reply! The problem is that PayPal requires me to take an action on the case and i have three available options, which are:

1- I've already shipped the product or provided the service

2- I've already issued a refund

3- I'll issue a refund to my customer and close this case

What should i do?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ali_2012 

Are you sure it was a dispute for unauthorised?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ali_2012
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Yes, very positive. When i open the Resolution Center, i can see the opened case and the reason says "Unauthorized Transaction". The status

of the case is "Awaiting seller response", which is waiting for my response. Very weird situation, never ran into such a situation before with PayPal

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ali_2012 

I would just wait it out, paypal will be checking the buyers IP addys etc.

If they find in his favour then the funds are there to refund?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bowzdins
Contributor
Contributor

Call Ebay customer service and they can resolve it for you. I recently will NEVER use or trust PayPal again. Their disputes are lengthy and a Joke. Ebay will take care of it for you right away.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bowzdins 

Ebay can't ''sort'' an unauthorised dispute on paypal.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bowzdins
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry. But since Paypal did not help me with mine. I have read literally hundreds of people complain that Paypal never resolves the resolution in the buyer's favor. As far as I am concerned they are idiots! I called Ebay and resolved with them direct in my case. I also called my credit card and they removed the charge instantly. I'm done with PayPal...along with a lot of others here. You can choose to go through PayPal....good luck. For me...Bye, Bye PayPal

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bowzdins 

No problem, if paypal doesn't work for you then by all means go elsewhere.

However most of the buyers that missed out bought tat from 'China' websites unfortunately.

Paypal only gives 'some' buyer protection and its up to all of us to risk assess our transactions.

But like you I ALWAYS fund my paypal payment with a credit card for that second layer of protection so glad that worked for you.

However my point was that in the case of the OP (not you) as this is the OP's thread then Ebay can't help her with an 'unauthorised' transaction as you advised.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.