Does Paypal cover up criminals? It really looks so...

timbo649
Contributor
Contributor

I bought some clothing from the online store. Photos were good, price was not cheat. Website looked OK and it worked with Paypal, so I decided to buy there. I got **bleep**-quality counterfeit knock-off items with very little similarities to photos and description on the website. I started the dispute on Paypal and asked for a full refund. Paypal confirmed a full refund but asked me to send those items back at my expense. 

Why should I be punished by bearing shipping back cost? That was not the case when I changed my mind on the purchase, selected wrong colour or size. The seller is a fraud. They show good products on the photo and then send counterfeit rubbish. 

I believe these items should be destroyed. By asking to send them back Paypal [1] punishes a buyer that did nothing wrong; [2] encourages criminal activities of the seller as the same items will be sent to someone else. 

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

timbo649
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

... and one more time you miss the point. The seller is a fraud. They show good product on the photo and in the description but then send you low quality counterfeit rubbish. I have no problems with Chinese people selling counterfeit Rolex as far as they honestly declare that it's a fake Rolex.

In this case, I did not choose to buy from China. I was under impression that I buy from US, US product, paying relatively high price in US dollars. The seller is a fraud. Supporting financial stability of the fraudsters is a crime. Paypal is supporter for criminals. 

On a separate note, by forcing me to send back counterfeit products Paypal makes me a distributor of counterfeit products in Australia. This is crime under Australia law and China laws are irrelevant here.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@timbo649 

Then i suggest you check out the websites that you buy from in the future, paypal is a payment processor and is not responsible for your poor decisions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

timbo649
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass 

Fantastic logic and it is not new at all:

- customers are guilty for not doing full scale investigation of a seller

- raped women are guilty for wearing wrong dress

Could you please stop posting here and invite someone with an authority.

I do believe that Paypal does not share your victim blaming philosophy and does not appreciate such "voluntary advice" given on their platform.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@timbo649 

Nope the logic is that paypal give you SOME buyer protection and SOME seller protection and the rest is up to you to risk assess your own transactions.

You didn't bother and were caught out and so then all you can do is put the blame on Paypal for not bailing you out.

There is no ''victim'' philosophy............this is a purchase of goods that went wrong so you are hardly a victim, I would save that description for someone more deserving of it.

And do you not think after 10 years of posting on here that I don't know what the moderators 'think' of the advice that I give?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

timbo649
Contributor
Contributor

Summary of what we know so far. Based on the available information, it looks that:

1. Paypal covers up fraudsters and protects financial viability of their operations.

2. Paypal punishes buyers to bear shipping cost while they did nothing wrong.

3. Forcing buyers sending back counterfeited products means that Paypal blackmails buyers into trafficking counterfeited products which is illegal in most countries.

4. Community forum is run by victim blaming bigots. There are no moderators.  

I would love to hear comments from the official representatives of the company.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@timbo649 

Summary of what we know so far based on available information is....

1. Paypal does not protect fraudsters which is why they give you advice against being scammed and provide 'some' buyer protection to help you if you find yourself in that situation.

2. Paypal helps you with shipping costs via their 'return shipping on us' policy as long as you have activated it at some point before the transaction. However Paypal can't be responsible if you choose to purchase internationally and get ripped off for any higher costs due to that choice.

3. Paypal often do tell you to return fake goods if the country it is from it is legal to sell those goods BUT equally as long as you provide written proof from a company that sells or produces the item then sometimes they will tell you to bin it. However the onus is on the buyer to provide said proof otherwise every buyer would just say 'fake' to save returning a sellers goods.

4. This forum is a 'user to user' help forum and yes there are moderators. However no one apart from the above poster has been abusive about another.

And equally this forum helps many folks on a daily basis from being scammed, unfortunately we can't help everyone but unfortunately those 'ones' tend to blame Paypal / moderators / volunteers / users / forum for their own mistakes.

If someone wants to hear from an official member then thats easy, they just contact customer services, this is located via help / contact bottom of paypal pages and varies country to country.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.